blog Followers

Monday, December 17, 2018

What Once Was Lost....

Looking for the silver coin
No one, no one at all, ever talked about what was involved when a girl or boy starts Irish dance lessons.  Those dancers look amazing as they skim along a wooden dance floor, as they kick high to the sky, and as they leap without effort. Some costumes/dresses are impossibly ugly, the colors are day glow colors.  

But no one tells about the money all that costs.  Dresses straight from Irish designers can cost up to $3000. Children have a habit of outgrowing these dresses.

On Facebook
$1000 worth of Swarovski crystals
on an already expensive dress
Oh, the hard shoes. How can any pair of shoes cost so very much? Apparently, those hard shoes can cost a lot.  

In 2017, new shoes cost about $350. Used ones are slightly less. But what happens when one shoe is lost?  Disaster.

After a huge Irish Feis (fesh) dance competition held in a hotel near Disneyland, my daughter discovered that Clara, my gr-daughter had only one shoe.  They searched all over the hotel with staff help, to no success.


This is how a competition looks

As irony would have it, a few days later John and I attended a math conference in the next hotel over. Time was on my hands, so I went to the hotel and asked about the lost shoe.

Obviously, Lost and Found was the place to go. No luck. But then the hotel maid recalled one shoe and turned it in the next day after the Feis. 

That correct lost and found box contained the shoe. Huzzahs all around!


The lone lost shoe


What was lost was found. Was the search worth it? One shoe, was it important enough to find?  

No one warns us about the cost. But everything costs money, what matters is where it is spent. A new sofa and love seat or a life time of dance memories and skills? Just where do you invest your time, money, self?


The dresses are crazy out-of-line, no matter what. 


45 comments:

  1. I had no idea those dresses ran that much but when you look at the work involved I guess it makes sense. As parents I think we always want our children to be able to experience as much of the wonderful things in life as possible. So we sacrifice in order to do this. And yes it is worth it even if it's just one shoe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We believe that, too.

      Some dancers send measurements with a photo of the desired dress to China or Mexico. The cost is less. Quality? Don't know.

      Delete
  2. So lucky you found that other shoe. It seems that those specialized activities always cost and arm and a leg. Dance. Sports. Scouts. Music. But yeah, the memories those kids take into adulthood are priceless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of fellow dancers went to World Championships, didn't qualify, but oh! the experience. Once dancers hit 18, they stop. But the shoes and dresses are in their closets and they still practice.

      Delete
  3. Mercy, but lessons for kids cost! Some a lot more than others. My children were only allowed to do a couple of activities that we could afford, and it did not stunt them that they couldn't do "everything." They got music, Bible club, and some sports, and it was enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Things switch, activities become different. I had students who were maxed out, almost every night. Parents wanted me to stop assigning homework.

      Delete
  4. I had no idea a dress for Irish dancing could cost $3,000 and like you said, kids grow out of them. How great you persisted and found the lost shoe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a joy, to find that shoe. took a photo and sent it onto my daughter.

      Delete
  5. It was incredibly lucky that you found that shoe. Growing up money was tight. We didn't do anything which cost more than a pittance. We did have varied experiences and encouragment so certainly weren't losers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because our family is 75% Irish, there is a true connection. It was inevitable.

      Delete
  6. I am so out of touch. Cost of today's childen's competition is amazing. BUT, but I do love that type of dancing, good exercise that is for danged sure. It all amazes me, especially how the judges determine the best....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a crazy amount of practice. Even outside multi hours of classes, dancers give hours at home. Their calf muscles are amazing.

      Delete
  7. We have little Irish dancers here in Edmonton too, usually seen out and about dancing on and around St Patrick's Day. Their dresses usually are quite low-key, green or white Celtic-y looking things. In all honesty, I have never ever seen an Irish dancer wear anything so garish as those photos you have posted. They may cost a lot of money but that doesn't necessarily equate to good taste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the simple of old. apparently the theory that judges would notice the garish over the skill. And the wigs!

      Delete
  8. Seems to me Irish Dancing might be only for the rich. I wonder what the original dancer, all those centuries ago, would think about that.
    It's pretty much the same as most sports though, everything costs, which is why I'm glad my kids weren't at all sports inclined. There was a brief period of jazz ballet when my daughters joined an after school group, run by the school and available to all who wanted to join in , so I did too and my younger son, for one year. It was just a few dollars a week and costumes weren't necessarily fancy. Whatever we could stitch up at home in the colours and fabric recommended was good enough for the end of year show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After Riverdance, Irish dancing took off. The simple historical costumes were simple. But, after that, Irish dancing industries locked onto it.

      Delete
  9. Glad you finally found the shoe. But wow! Neither cheer leading nor playing football costs that much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for sharing this incredible Irish dance dear Susan as I was not familiar with such charming form of art

    In present world what matter most is "looking perfect to others or show off" and for this everyone seems Cray

    Sometimes people cut off their basic needs and save to look best front of others

    I wonder why the others are more important to us than our ourselves

    Such money can be spent on better and more reasonable stuff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is true. We still give to charities and needy.

      Delete
  11. There were no Irish dance classes for my little lass but we lived in a predominately Polish neighborhood so she took Polish dance classes. I know what you mean about expensive. The headpieces alone cost $20 and that was 35 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crazy, isn't it? But the photos we'll have document them thru the years.

      Delete
  12. Great the shoe was found. Darn, that costs a lot indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that does not include the costs of going to a Feis in some distant city or the registration fees $$.

      But it is incredible to watch.

      Delete
  13. I enjoy watching Irish dancers, but I had no idea about the expense of such a pursuit. Now I'm glad my girls were interested in soccer as I don't think I invested as much as those dancers do.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is surely an expensive endeavor. The dresses are pretty but the young dancers do grow fast and outgrow these dresses. The shoes are pretty spendy too. The person must be dedicated and serious about dancing to warrant this expense. Glad the missing show was found.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the parents have to be part of the process. This and gymnastics other sports demand so much of parents. It is a big commitment and my girls love it.

      Delete
  15. It's so good of you to continue searching. Your efforts were well rewarded.

    God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It gave new meaning to the woman searching for a silver coin. Her search was vital to her existence, while mine was to help my Clara, who leaves a trail behind her. And, of course, her mom.

      Delete
  16. Wow that is a great deal of money to spend on a dress. I'm not sure I've ever seen any Irish dancers in the real, only on TV. Which is a bit weird as I live in the UK!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if Riverdance is traveling around in UK. If you get a chance to see a live performance somewhere, try to catch it.

      Delete
  17. The cost for the dresses and shoes are crazy. And they definitely should tell you before you get involved in it. I do love watching them, though:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a little like getting pregnant. No one tells you about the 9th month, because it is hell.

      Delete
  18. The dresses are out of control! Glad you found the shoe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rejoicing all around!

      My daughter made the girls' earlier dresses but then it was time to buy. Clara's dress was used, cost about $500.

      Delete
  19. I fell in love with Riverdancing years ago and had I been a child I would have been hooked and cost my parents dearly. I'd have killed for that first dress.
    Luckily I was into horses which isn't all that cheap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Horses vs Irish dancing? Both $$$ but I'd go for horses, maybe.

      Delete
  20. A mesmerizing video. So glad the shoe was found.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I once lost my wedding ring while cleaning out drawers. Searched everywhere. A year later, I moved some papers over, and there it was, just sitting.

      You never know.

      Delete
  21. Different choices for all of us of course. A balance must be found.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I had no idea the dresses and shoes cost so much for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No one knows, until one makes a commitment to watching their little angels skim across the floor like fairies.

      Delete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!