
Memories
of good
restaurants cling to everyone, triggered by simple smells, quick visual
flashes, some notes of music. Maybe sautéed onions with bacon bring
back
that little Mom and Pop place near the childhood home.
Or, is it the
exquisite fresh baking bread
that reminds one of a marvelous place by a favorite coffee shop? The oldies on
radio summon up a summer vacation when there were many summers to come.
Whatever the sense might be, everybody identifies with a familiar place locked in the
memories of good places or unique experiences.
What about a remote
place, located in the middle of a desert wasteland? And, if that restaurant has an unusual name,
would you stop there?
RoadKill Café,
504 W. Highway 66, Seligman, Arizona, is such a place. “Unique” isn’t adequate to describe this
place.
Their motto is: "You Kill It, We Grill It!"
Located on Route 66
just off Freeway , the town of Seligman, AZ, has kept its old West and
small town flavor.
The menu offers many fine entrees, such as "Splatter Platter",
Deer Delectables, Bad Brake Steak,
Fender Tender, Caddie Grilled patty,
Swirl of Squirrel,
Big Bagged Stag, Highway Hash,
Almost-Crossed-the-Road-Chicken, and other delights.***
These offerings have not been collected off the road. That's the vultures' jobs. They eat heartily, picking the bones.
Eat up, folks!
So inventive. I love the offerings. You CAN get your kicks on Route 66.
ReplyDeleteI loved that show, Route 66. Over the years we have drive onto and along that legendary highway.
DeleteOh I love this! How fun. Thanks for sharing this. My husband will enjoy watching the video!
ReplyDeleteI wonder what menu item he will select.
DeleteThis is the second time today I've seen a reference to this cafe. Yes, I have seen the menu before and I think it's a great place I'd love to visit someday.
ReplyDeleteGreat! Try to go there someday!
DeleteI don't know how we missed it. But I most likely woud have stopped! LOL
ReplyDeleteNever been to that place but I have been on Route 66.
ReplyDeleteI've been through Seligman several times, but I've never stopped at the Roadkill Café. There's a chance the we are going to take a Route 66 RV tour next year. We are on the wait list. I'll make sure we stop and have a bite or two.
ReplyDeleteGreat. Let me know how it went.
DeleteWe would definitely stop in - though my vegetarian self wouldn't eat there.
ReplyDeleteMeat is the primary course. But, I am sure there are other foods.
DeleteThe names of the dishes are interesting for sure, but I'd be hesitant if I hadn't read your final sentence saying the foods are NOT genuine roadkill.
ReplyDeleteI bet the owners were ready for that.
DeleteDid the Roadkill Cafe put out a cookbook? I only ask because there was a roadkill cookbook, and I wonder if they're related.
ReplyDeleteThere is a cook book!
Deletenot sure I would, but I would stop and take photos, ha ha ha bob watches a auto repair show, called Roadkill, they pick up old rusted cars and trucks and make them run again
ReplyDeleteThe desert has a wealth of abandoned. cars and trucks. Fun indeed.
DeleteThose dishes are so creatively and humorously done, Susan. Yes, I'd stop if only out of curiosity. Blessings!
ReplyDeleteWho ever came up with those menu items was creative.
DeleteMany different dishes they serve at this roadside cafe. I can do without the "swirl of squirrel" though. They are not my favorite animal. ; ) Yes, these cafes bring back so many memories because of what you said, the smells, the music, and the atmosphere.
ReplyDelete~Sheri
I hope that everyone gets the strange cafe experience.
Delete