
"There’s a storm comin’! I tell you a storm!” Pastor yelled, pounding the pulpit. “ARE YOU READY?”
The congregation shouted Amen, Praise the Lord…waking
Emily from her nap on the pew.
Mama was standing, being one of the Amen
group.
Emily rolled and then planted her chubby little
feet on the maple floor. The walking
thing was still iffy, but she had the crawl-ing down. Distance to the pulpit wasn’t far at all,
and at a fast crawl, Emily
could cover it before Mama noticed.
And, off she took, under pews, between legs,
around feet, past purses. Oh, Emily knew
she was fearless, and this would be another time she found
freedom, with her white diaper bottom wagging behind.
“Can you make a joyous noise to
the Lord??” Pastor roared. Cue the organist, who joined in with a chorus from
different hymns.
Emily reached the pulpit and pulled herself up,
pounding on the cross
.
| Source |
“Root out sin! Let joy rise as a fragrance to the Lord!” He
raised his arms, pointing to heaven.
Thank you, Elephant's Child at its original form for providing the bold underlined italicized words! She tossed 6 to 12 words out at writers to take up a challenge in their writing each week.
Wherever we go, there are some amazingly cute precious babies. I look at the parents with a smile, pat my chest, saying "Grandma"
This is a repost from 2022. Wednesday Words is a genre free challenge created by Delores, who probably could not have predicted how it would keep going.
I do believe Emily made her point.
ReplyDeleteA full diaper always makes a strong point..
DeleteSuch a cute and clever story, Susan! I always take the time to notice parents with small children or babies and do the same as you. Gotta love 'em!
ReplyDeleteGotta love 'em is right!
DeleteCute story
ReplyDeleteIF you have ever seen a baby crawling with a full diaper, you don't know about life.
DeleteThat fragrance AIN'T joy....
ReplyDeleteNo, it has a way of wafting through the house.
DeleteSome babies want to be free from the moment they are born. My granddaughter is one of them.
ReplyDeleteI have a grandson who is like that. I call him "the wild man".
DeleteHi Susan. Hope you are keeping well. Praying for you. God bless.
ReplyDeletethanks for your prayers. This makes me sad, not angry.
DeleteA Sunday's entertainment ;)
ReplyDeleteAlways fun to have a baby in church.
DeleteWhat a great story, Susan! Thank you so much for sharing this. Take good care of yourself.
ReplyDeletethanks! I am doing the best I can.
DeleteLoved this one! I sure remember a lot of tales from Billy Sunday. AD yes you have caught one of those sweet incidences of diapders and church.. and they can scoot under the pews...
ReplyDeleteGood-un
Even in church, babies can get free and head out to explore.
DeleteHow curious. Just this morning I received this email from a friend:
ReplyDeleteMy Dad was a Wobbly. I'm assuming you know who those were.
He and some fellow Wobs gathered for the sermon. At the end of the sermon Billy Sunday asked the folks in the gathering to come forward for his blessing. To do so was difficult, because there was a Wob at the end of every pew.
The Wobblies weren't anti-religion. Just against the "holy" folk who were against their insistence on fairness for workers.
Will have to look the Wobbies up.
DeletePrecious friend Susan I bet there’s hardly anyone better than you in using Wednesday words so beautifully 🥰🤗♥️🙏
ReplyDeleteI find it a challenge, making it fun to write.
Delete