blog Followers

Thursday, July 3, 2025

Crossroads of life

 

Outback Sign Outback Places of Interest in Australia Australia Stock Photo


Walking on some streets and sidewalks, I have found myself totally lost. At an intersection where nothing is at all familiar has dropped me in a confusion hell. Where is North or South? East or west? God, please help me. And, that was me in Walgreen's store.
 
Facing decisions like that are scary and I always wondered about all those crossroads humanity has faced and abilities challenged..

Ralph Macchio vs. Steve Via
Cy Cooder plays for Macchio who is admired for his mime skill.

The final battle, about 5 minutes long. Watch the final minutes if you don't want to see the whole thing.
 
This movie is Crossroads, a loose story telling of the legendary Robert Johnson where he supposedly sold his soul to the devil in order to have success as a musician. This movie follows the journey of Willie Brown who has done such with his friend Eugene Martone, a classical guitarist at Julliard. Martone saves Willie Brown by offering to play against lead guitarist played by Steve Vai.

Steve Vai practiced for a year to learn how to play badly at the last scene. It was awesome. Macchio spent months training with Alan Roth, a gifted guitarist. While Macchio was not a proficient guitarist, he could sure mime one.  It is so convincing that I had to wonder about it.

And just for the heck of it, here are two other Devil Gets Your Soul music performances:

Charlie Daniel's epic violin and Devil Went Down to Georgia
about 3 minutes long.
Talented musician

Mick Jagger, Sympathy for the Devil
About 8 minutes long
Rolling Stones have put their stamp on this.
No one can beat it.

These performances hang about in my mind even though I am lost at intersections sometimes. My husband usually rescues me, and God provides for me. God holds my soul and heart. Devil does not hang around at my intersections.

Please let me know about crossroads you have had.

18 comments:

  1. Vai had to practice playing bad? Now that's something!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must be training your hand and ears to make the wrong notes.

      Delete
  2. when I saw the sign timbuctoo, I flipped to a crossroad in my life that was in Kalamazoo, Michigan, 1984 Jan. I thought Timbuctoo and Kalamazoo were just sayings not places. It was a cross roads for me because I had no money, was driving truck with a husband that was trying to kill me, in a motel across the street from an airport but no money to run with. I did not die, but i did find a way to get him to go back to home base of the trucks we drove, and go home to GA and run for my life to Florida.
    nothing to do with your story but was a crossroad moment. I am good at directions, NESW but it would hard in a strange city. in the city where i live I can always tell, and all the others where i lived I could tell and I can read paper map and know which is which

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God had His Hand on and around you on your crossroad moments. Our adult children smirk at us when we refer to our newspaper and map directions from Map Quest. We are so old, I guess.

      Delete
  3. I'm directionally challenged, too, Susan. I'm thankful for Google maps and my husband's common sense. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting lost in a Walgreens was so embarrassing. they had rearranged it all and I was a sad senior citizen looking miserable.

      Delete
  4. That's when you need a phone with a map on it. I can't say I get lost when I'm walking if I'm paying attention, but it could happen. I did hear about that movie, but I haven't seen it. Sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Movie is a worthwhile watch. The Map Quest app was a big leap in usefulness. when we visited Illinois last time, my husband ignored it and we found ourselves on a country road surrounded by cornfields.

      Delete
  5. It would take work for a great guitarist to play badly on purpose.

    Remember, if your right hand points to the rising sun (east), your nose is facing north.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought of that direction finding. Just tried it and it works. Thanks!

      Delete
  6. Joe Cocker at Woodstock (With a Little Help from My Friends); David Bromberg at Celebrity Theatre in Phoenix; Pete Seeger and Arlo Guthrie at the same place; Bette Midler somewhere; Hugh Laurie at the piano in the Mesa Arts Center; Lyle Lovett in a couple of places; shall I go on?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You made some great choices, I loved all these singers and musicians.

      Delete
  7. I have a lot of crossroads- the ones I remember are the ones that bring me closer to Him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen and amen. Turning to the left or to the right makes a big difference.

      Delete
  8. I'm not the best with direction but somehow God has always helped me when I can't find my way. Looking back at my life (I'm 72) I see many crossroads that I know were changing points. That one decision that made a career happen, a marriage, a motherhood, a mistake that turned into a learning experience and always a divine hand to lead me, guide me, and walk beside me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you had some challenges and God was always there for yo.

      Delete
  9. You are awesome and most unique in bringing up the variety of wonderful topics dear Susan ,I just can’t wish I have such skill 😊👍

    My faith has worked like a google map whenever I confronted to the crossroads and I feel deeply grateful for that 🥹🙏
    I really enjoyed the first video specially
    When devil displays such a blissful talent with absolutely negative emotions it can’t entertain but damage him and all around who own weak intention
    Thanks for brightening my day 🥰👍♥️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel as you do. Google maps have been a life saver. God saves us and wraps up in His Love. Satan cannot defeat Him.

      Delete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!