blog Followers

Friday, October 25, 2024

Getting Down with Punkin' Chunkin'

 

                            This is the every-day type of punkin  chunkin.


                                              This is the super-sized punkin..,1 ton punkin.


                                            This is a 22 tonne cannon. It is crazy.

Just in case you thinkin' this is a worthless thing to do as entertainment goes, there is Mission Statement:

Here is an official statement from the WCPCA:

The World Championship Punkin Chunkin Association (WCPCA) is a trademark nonprofit that raises money for scholarships, as well as organizations that benefit youth and the local community. 

We host a signature pumpkin-launching event each year, fueling innovative engineering and science-based ideas that draw spectators from all over. 

We believe that Punkin Chunkin cultivates the odd, challenging, and competitive quest for distance that inspires creativity, ingenuity, teamwork, and passion. 

It is this very dedication that drives teams to compete using science and engineering skills and brings spectators to the gate which allows us  to continue our never ending thirst to support our scholarship and charitable programs.


 That wraps up my non-celebration of Halloween.


20 comments:

  1. That second one was a good shot - right on the camera!
    I bet those pumpkins landing in the water really confuse the fish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that one is special. Amazing. The largest pumpkin this year weighs 2,749 lbs.

      Delete
  2. I had no idea they shot pumpkins out of a cannon. Amazing. And that large pumpkin is AMAZING! And for Cystic Fibrosis is a great organization.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Love to hear about a different method of helping a serious cause of death.

      Delete
  4. I'd no idea about any of this! Thanks for enlightening AND entertaining us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If a person has never seen it, it is a sight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are often smaller events at county fairs.

      Delete
  6. Trebuchet! I was talking about punkin chunkin to that 7th grade science class when they were making catapults. If I was there now, I think I'd remind them of this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next time? Catapults are classic weapons that throw stuff long distances.

      Delete
  7. Those launch a whole lot further than the ones at our local pumpkin patch, that's for sure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that lake was sure handy for the punkin chunkin. I wonder what the fish thought? I know at least one fall festival in my area has punkin chunkin, maybe more. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the lake was a way to slow it all down, and I hope t he fish don't float to the top.

      Delete
  9. I'm glad they do it for a charity, and yes, they are very innovative with their launcher designs.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!