The
door swung opened for Samuel and one of his parents. The Mommy dropped the groceries on the table and tossed Samuel
into the playpen. “Be right back!” Mommy whisked out the door.
Samuel
waited, listened. He had the time, the strength, and he could do this.
Throwing the blue pacifier over the railing, Samuel hoisted his pwesuss whittl weggees over the railing and did a practiced roll. With his hands up for balance, Samuel began the newly discovered walking power: stagger-stagger-wobble.
‘Focus, man, focus!’ The words hammered in his 14 month brain. ‘Ignore the Cheerios under the couch!”
Samuel
reached the spot where he nailed Grammie with projectile vomit. She was
saying, “Gwamma wuvs dose pwessus whittle wehgees…” Blaaaagh, and she
stopped. Good times.
Almost
there, Samuel pictured the freedom: chase the kitty, taste the
flowers, squish mud. Such fine adventures, and he was almost there.
The Mommy swooped through the door and knocked over Samuel. She swept him up. “Mommy wuvs dose pwessus whittle waygees…”
Samuel tried to say, “Dammit woman! Can’t you speak the King’s English?” All that came out was a cry and some spit-up. The door swung shut.
Samuel will grow up to be a handful.
ReplyDeleteSamuel seems like a normal child to me. Who doesn't want to escape their playpen and head for adventures outside?
ReplyDeleteSamuel has a gift for that.
DeleteI miss Samuel.
ReplyDelete
DeleteGlad to pull him out from12 years ago.
I'm with Samuel, stop the baby talk!
ReplyDeleteSame here. I did not use that baby language.
DeleteSamuels spirit needed to be crushed so he could learn to flow with the system that has been pre-programmed for him.
ReplyDeleteNot Samuel. His spirit will always be his driving force.
DeleteSamuel is exactly why I prefer dogs over babies. oh wow... what a handful.
ReplyDeleteYes, I can understand that.
DeleteSamuel is a fantastic character, Susan. I'm in love already!
ReplyDeleteSamuel was a fun character to build. He has some strong skill set.
DeleteI'm shocked his mother wasn't shocked to see that he had escaped his playpen.
ReplyDeleteAgain. If I were Samuel's mother, I would have an ankle monitor.
DeleteHe almost made it!
ReplyDeleteWhy do people talk gibberish to babies? It's a wonder they ever learn to talk properly.
I love the inner monologue of the baby.
ReplyDeleteWanted to create his personality and inner thoughts.
DeleteI remember KC's first steps. He was shocked. We were shocked. His mom cried. He cried.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great memory !
DeleteThis is the first I've heard of Samuel...what a character! He'll need that spirit in this day and age! I never did the baby talk to my kids but I noticed my voice goes up a few octaves talking to the dog!
ReplyDeleteI had the teacher voice even back when my precious babies were little. Not harsh or mean, just lovingly in charge.
Delete