blog Followers

Saturday, January 6, 2024

Hey, Sis, let's make something...

 

                                                    Robert Kent Peck 1951-1997, in red cowboy shirt

 All my life, my family has called me "Sis".  Now that there are only three of us, hearing "Sis" comes less and less frequently. That fact pulls out stories  about a few of those times.

My brother Robert was born January 14, 1951.  Then about eleven months later, I was born on December 4, 1951.  We were inseparable, sometimes enemies and sometimes friends.  But, always always we were ready to be there for the other.  

Robert was able to talk me into cook or bake a treat for him.  How, I don't know.  "Sis...let's make some..."  only he did not do the work. 

He convinced me to make deep-fried onion rings on Sunday afternoon. My hair smelled like onions even when we went to church at night.  Had to shampoo several times to remove that odor.  Then he thought frying up some bologna sounded good and I made that for him.  

But, Robert's favorites were anything sweet.  Again, he would say, "Sis...let's make some..." I would sigh, but there would quickly be some dessert of any type.

Here are some of his favorites, taken from Mom's cook book given to her as a wedding present in 1946. The binding is gone, pages fragile and crumbling. Lots of splatters and wear speak volumes.


God bless Betty Crocker.
Sis. How I would love to hear Robert say "Sis...let's make some..." again.  I probably would mix up hundreds of batches, just for him.


22 comments:

  1. Splatters and stains on cookbook pages do indeed speak volumes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a touching story, Susan. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cookie day for my grandchildren turned into cookie weekend because nieces and nephews started to join in the fun. I miss those weekends because I live so far away from them now. Thanks for the recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. May you hold those fond memories forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so. I am trying to write some of those in my blogs.

      Delete
  5. Cool. My Dad's lot had several boys and 2 sisters, always called, "Sis", and "Miss".

    ReplyDelete
  6. So true. I think of my family who have died, and what I wish I had done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. Oh, and his "let's make some" reminds of an old saying about how "we did this, as the flea said of himself and the elephant."

      Delete
  8. I'm sorry your brother isn't here now but your memories are precious and those recipes are too! Yes, all those spatters are just a testament to cooking for love ones. My sister and I laugh when we remember when we were young and my older brother would say, "Go make me a sandwich"..I would do it but Midge just told him to do it himself! I guess I was a pushover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister and I are that way too. She is like my dad's side and I am like Mom's side. I am much kinder.

      Delete
  9. My brother would take himself to the kitchen and make whatever he was in the mood for. Usually some kind of sandwich about two inches thick. Fine by me. Could you photocopy the pages of that book and have them bound so you still have the recipes when the book eventually falls apart?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I gave the book to my brother. what he did with it is beyond me. We were moving and I wanted it to go to someone who loved Mom.

      Delete
  10. This is SWEET. Just thoughts of the old cook book brings smiles. Also memories of dad He was born Jan 14, 1903. I came along Jan 17 in '39 He always liked to say he was 3 days older than his youngest son. I had a sweet older sister I miss her. She taught me to ride a bike, hop scotch and play checkers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sisters can teach their brothers many valuable lesson.

      Delete
  11. you were lucky that your brother befriended with you dear Susan :) this must be exceptionally lovely feeling :)
    he expected from you all he wanted and this is pure love do doubt !
    as we age many precious relationships part away slowly but their love keep echoing in our soul :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We supported each other, no matter how stupid it was.

      Delete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!