blog Followers

Friday, December 29, 2023

When I was young

 Pinterest | Proverbs, Proverbs 20, Old couples

When someone refers to me as “old person” I am offended.

I look awesome for someone who is called “Old Person”.  Whenever I see myself in the mirror, I say “Damn, girl. You still look like you are 40.” Why not? I don’t have glasses on when I look in that mirror, and fuzziness wipes out the wrinkles.

My hair has a strip of white at the roots, but Jennifer at JC Hair Studio has magic hands. My own hands look old, I’ll give you that.  When my daughter and her two daughters placed their hands in a circle around mine, you can see where my hands started out and where there are now.

I am now 1/2 inch shorter. That plus one sweet gr-daughter is about 5 inches taller than I am, heightens the effect.

Over the years, I have avoided telling my weight: Traumatic  ridicule from my brothers and my father.  (I wrote a letter to my mother, asking for her help. She did nothing.)

Telling my age no longer fits in that list.  So I proclaim:  I am on Medicare, UnitedHealthcare, and just had my 72 birthday.

Now I ask you to view my daughter and myself.  It was taken Summer of 2021. Erin is 48 now, born in 1975.

No photo description available.


Age comes and there is no stopping it. I will take off my glasses.


                                                       
 

 

21 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. She is so precious. We are so blessed to have Erin as my daughter.

      Delete
  2. You are both beautiful. Aging well is a happy thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter is a precious gift to us. She had very blonde hair as a child, has blue eyes.

      Delete
  3. You are both lovely! Several years prior (to my 73rd circle around the sun) I used to fret about personal stuff I couldn't control. Considering all those we've lost, now each morning I'm delighted that Mr. God's got me on his 'wake up list.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am also glad to be alive. Death has no hold over me. John 14:30

      Delete
  4. You are simply beautiful, Susan, as is your lovely daughter! There is lots of truth in the advice to age gracefully, enjoying each day with which God has blessed us.
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While I cannot hold onto my younger self, the older me is just fine with the growing old. The only thing I hate about this age thing is that things hurt. My rt wrist surgery 5 months ago was to take out some crumbling arthritic bones.

      Delete
  5. I have always been honest about my age which is now 76. I EARNED EVERY MINUTE OF IT! Weight is another matter for another time. Because of genetics I looked younger for most of my life. Then I had a stroke and it over-rode genetics. I'm fine with that. And you look magnificent. No need to fret over that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks. Absolutely. We earned every minute. My genetics are pretty good as well. My mom didn't get any gray until she was in her 80s.

      Delete
  6. When I let my hair go gray, my gr=daughters (5 at the time) said I was Way old, older than a house even. the next day, I went to see Jenny, who made me young again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Getting old is a privilege denied to many. Definitely be proud.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm 83 years old and I feel really good about it. Looks are the last thing that worry me, I really don't care what I look like. Being able to walk, fending off my cancer, type 1 diabetes, and threat of COPD are most important to me at this age. And of course, my dog, Faith and all my kind and wonderful friends, blogger friends included. Happy New Year's Eve to you and yours. Inger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Faith has grown into a nice sized dog. I know she is comforting and entertaining. I miss Samson.

      Delete
  9. Aging, as they say, beats the alternative. As my hubby always says when people say "it's good to see you"...he says, "it's better to be seen than viewed!" Yes, we all age and I think you look fabulous with your beautiful daughter. I bet she's hoping in her heart that she looks as good as you when she's your age. I also wear glasses. I hate them as I never had to wear any until my late 50's. I'm 70 but in my head I'm thinking I'm 35. Then I stand up after sitting for a bit and that reminds me that I'm not 35! Have a very Happy New Year and I hope 2024 brings many good blog days! Hugs from Ohio Susan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you. I have a tee that says:I remember being able to get up without making sound effects. Good times.

      Delete
  10. Which one is you and which is your daughter?

    God bless you both, and your families.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am the older woman, towering over my girl. As if....

      Delete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!