You wake up the morning, thinking of the plans
for the day. It is a day off from work, and a full ten hours of
daylight lie before you. Movies? Go shopping? Visit
friends or relatives? Go out for lunch?
But, no. A migraine has woken you up, sends you to the emergency
room. The ER is packed with people elbow to elbow, jockeying for a
spare chair. It is a holiday and all the doctors’ offices are closed. Everyone in a city of 130,000 is lined up to get help for something.
I was there, oh yes, I was there. A migraine had emptied me out and left me a dried up worm of a person in agonizing pain.
During eight of those ten daylight hours, an appreciation for the plights of men swept over me.
When a gurney surrounded by curtains became available, I finally was allowed to lie down. In the bright cubicle with my eyes covered, my super hearing kicked in, and unwillingly, I became part of the drama* taking place on either side of me.
To my left? Oh, man.
On the other side of the curtain a young
man (early twenties, maybe) had come in with chest pains. Thinking it
was the remnant of bronchitis from weeks ago, the man/boy talked with
the doctor. His answers to standard questions rang an alarm in my own
chest. Drugs? Uh, not for a couple of weeks, only ‘coke and some weed. Drinking binge? Uh, only a few beers.
His answers were always followed by a silence
Each question was asked in different ways.
Tests were run, more questions asked. Then the man/boy was left
alone. No friends or family brought him in; no one sat holding his
hand.
Doctors came in, one after another, to talk
with him. Each time the questions were the same, but the answers came
closer and closer to the truth.
Ultimately, the cardiologist came in; he had the results of a Cardio-Ultrasound, which he showed to the man/boy. Enlarged heart. Stroke level blood pressure. Tell me again…drugs…?
The truth came out in almost inaudible
whispers. The next words from the doctor were that this man/boy was
being admitted to cardiac care unit, and then if there was any family to
be called.
His gurney with all its attached IVs and monitors were wheeled away with the young man/boy in stunned silence.
The ‘mom’ in me wanted to go with him, hold
his hand, pray with/for him. The first two I couldn’t do, but prayer
was what I could manage.
Then I was released after getting a ton of drugs that would kill the monster migraine and restore me.
![]() |
| ...and the curtains come down.... |




Oh, what a heart-rending experience, Susan! That poor, befuddled young man . . . I'm glad you could at least pray for him, and that you were able to get medications that relieved your migraine. I can't imagine having to live with those - I can barely stomach a regular headache.
ReplyDeleteBlessings, my friend!
These have been part of my life since childhood.
DeleteThat poor young man. I hope that family could be located and come to support him. I am also glad that your migraine was relieved.
ReplyDeleteI have thought of him throughout the years. I hope he got his life in order.
DeleteI hope you are feeling well. It must have been some migraine to take you to the hospital. That poor kid. I have wondered what makes a person turn to illegal drugs to hide from the world.
ReplyDeleteYoung man, why would he start to destroy his life.
Deletethey updated my Edge browser and would not let me comment, i went to Chrome and I can, saying this for others who might have the same issue
ReplyDeleteI have spent many hours, many nights in ER with my hubby. we have thin walls between beds and my ultra hearing hears not only what is on each side but accross from us. I always wonder about he HIPPA laws that are being broken
Once I entertained myself listening to how much info I could get on the woman next to me. the answer is everything needed to steal identity. they ask the info and they say it.
That said, this would have upset me also, and him there all alone. You did the best thing by praying. I can't imagine having a headache that takes me to ER... so sorry you suffer from these.
PS, last month i took bob to this hospital ER and he was treated from the lobby, him and 12 others, no beds, just sitting in a wheel chair. they would do one test and spring him back, I was in the lobby so long that I formed relationships with 3 of the patients that were waiting. we were all in one big room.
DeleteAt different times in places like this, I feel like we should exchange phone #s.
DeleteMy husband was very very ill and eventually was admitted for 5 days. But, he sat in the waiting room in a wheelchair for an hour at least.
DeleteI pray for all of these who are destroying their young bodies with drugs.
ReplyDeleteMy story is a bit different. It started as a regular school day for most, but we got a freak snowstorm (in the swamp!) and the schools called the buses back to take the children home ASAP.
I was having trouble breathing, went to the ER (which wasn't crowded at that hour), turned out to be pneumonia with pleurisy.
A lawyer, too important to stop for one of those school buses, had struck a teen girl. A straight A student and star of the track team lay in the room next to me, screaming in agony over a compound/complex fracture of her femur.
Her mother came in to apologize to me for her daughter's screams, and we were both in tears. I told her i have kids, it's no problem, i just want her to get well and run again.
She did, but boy, do you find out some stuff in the ER.
There are no secrets in the ER.
DeleteYikes, what a story. And they lie so much it takes so long to get the true story. I know the docs just want to get the truth so they can treat, not so they can call the cops.
ReplyDeleteI get very mild migraines, and I found a thing called Migranol that helps. (You can find it on Amazon.) Well, it helps me. It might not touch the pain you get.
I wonder how many kids like this guy who were surprised to find out they are mortal.
DeleteThankfully I have never had a migraine so bad I need a hospital. They are interesting places to hear all kinds of things you really don't need to know.
ReplyDeleteGoing to ER is a last option for me.
DeleteTOO TRUE of tHE DAY. We are fighting a battle right now... Drugs are the curse of this age.
ReplyDeleteSherry suffers from bad headaches now ands then, I think on the verge of migraine???? I am fortunate very seldom have headaches...
Sherry & jack
Fentanyl is darn scary. It is so deadly.
DeleteThankfully, I/we haven't suffered a migraine -- but ya. Been there, done that on several occasions. A few years ago, in fact, the 'party' was joined by two police officers. Sadly(?), I could only hear their side of the conversation.
ReplyDeleteWow. I echo your prayers...
ReplyDeleteIt was painful to hear.
DeleteIt is sobering. We're so close any day from catastrophe.
ReplyDeleteOh yes. So much can happen.
DeletePrayers are often the answer.
ReplyDeleteGod bless.