blog Followers

Monday, June 26, 2023

Secret under the Ice

 This missing persons notice from 1955 provided by the Nassau County Police Department on ...

I wonder if he was ever found?
                                                           

Such a pretty kid, Father..How old did you say?

Her name is Vicky and she was twelve years old.

Do they know yet what happened?  

They?  You mean the detectives?

Who else would I mean?  Yeah.  Them.

They don't know.  Some kid found her in the creek, under the ice.

She....Vicky must have floated downstream...

       Then the ice froze over her...her folks waited for so long...

How are Ken and Sheila holding out?

'Bout as expected.  You taking food in for the family?

  Yeah, Lisa fixed some chicken something or other.  And a pie, peach pie.

I wonder when they'll ever figure out...find out what you did?

God, I hope not.  I didn't mean to...the car swerved..she just appeared and...

You must, you have to tell them what happened.

She was so scared...at the end.

       She was scared before that...you could have saved her...she would still be alive.

Father, I wasn't thinking...
     
        Time to own up, Tim...Time to give Ken and Sheila peace.

Scared...so scared.  I am so scared.

       So was she, Tim. So was she.

What do you think will happen next?  

 

Statistics to Remember: 

Every year, approximately eight million children are reported missing worldwide
In the US, 2300 children are reported missing per day
 

Strangers abduct less than 1% of missing children
Parents are accountable for over 90% of abductions
 

In the US, nearly 400 000 youth were abducted in 2020
Every two minutes, a child is reported missing in Europe.

n 2019, Turkey had an abduction rate of 14.86 cases per 100,000 people
In Europe, one-third of missing children were found by the police in 2020

There is an entry in Wikipedia Disappearance of Steve Damman, read it.

25 comments:

  1. I hope the guilty party will confess, but I don't have too much confidence in that happening. What a sad story, Susan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be a priest and know the parishioner would be a heavy burden.

      Delete
  2. I don't think I could live with that sort of knowledge. And ache for and with the loved ones of those who go missing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could not either. It should be a relief to say the words, take responsibility.

      Delete
  3. One year I taught 4th grade and had a student whose father was a detective. He was 2nd on site and worked with forensic team to examine how a 12 yr. old girl had been stabbed multiple times and then covered over with a blanket. He said he will never get this out of his mind. His memories were in my mind when I wrote this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her name was Stephanie. She would have been 42 .

      Delete
  4. Yikes, what a horrible story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was. they managed to catch and imprison the man. They found some of her blood on his clothes.

      Delete
  5. That is the scariest story you ever told. It gave me the chills.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It just reminds me, there are folks much more troubled than I am. i need to realize, mine will pass. Others will Never get over their situations.
    Thanks I think,
    Sherry & jack on the first coast....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know you and Sherry are home. My grandmother lost her firstborn son to diphtheria in 1920, and she died at 92. 75 years after holding him, losing him, she still called out for him.

      Delete
  7. I'll just close the door on my way out....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. Really sad. Whenever I hear that a child is missing, my heart skips a beat.

      Delete
  9. I looked on the net and found this about the US... https://childfindofamerica.org/resources/facts-and-stats-missing-children/#:~:text=Facts%20%26%20Stats%20%2D%20Child%20Find%20of%20America&text=It%20is%20estimated%20that%202%2C300,become%20missing%20for%20many%20reasons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great site. Glad such a source exists to assist families.

      Delete
  10. We warn them about strangers, we should warn them about family members also.

    It would be horrible not to know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard many horror stories about what family members do and have done to children. One story was about an uncle raping a 6 mo. old baby at a wedding.

      Delete
  11. Heartbreaking! A wise man once told me, there's never a wrong time to tell the truth. Unfortunately, I don't believe this person will do so. Cowardice makes me ill.

    PS - I just went to Ma's site, but saw you were able to leave a comment already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The priest can convince him eventually. Getting the guy to say the name "Vicky" is the first step.

      Delete
  12. So sad... and scary. What has to happen to a person to make them do something to a child, cold and calculating like that...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Holy cow. This is chilling.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!