blog Followers

Wednesday, January 25, 2023

Grandma Amy and her books


My Grandmother Amy, about 1916

Amy Lucille Nichols Peck became a pharmacist in 1916, a difficult career move for a woman of that era. She had been preparing to be a doctor, but the money wasn't there. So she adjusted her plans.  When Grandma died in 1972, she left me a number of her book collections.  Most interesting were the books on science.

In Gray's School and Field Book of Botany by Asa Gray, she assiduously (!) made notes in the pages and pressed leaves. A rather vague comment was on the page for "Xanthium".  Xanthium--such a lovely word! I thought. 

The definition of this delightful Xanthium is:

  A coarse and vile weed, with stout and low branching stems.
  
  Grows in barnyards and waste manured ground, about 1 to 2 inches high

  ....hooked leaves and the fruit is a burr fully 1/2" long, with 2 beaks at the apex


  ....numerous prickles with sharp bristles.


What!! What?? The Xanthium is a burr plant? The kind that catches on socks, pants, every fabric, and resists removal?

I was severely disappointed by this.  I am sure you are as well.

Please share your experiences and/or thoughts of the hated Xanthium. or any other hated plant that has been in your life.

This is Grandma's rocker. She read the Bible through every where. She maintained her pharmacist credential until her 80s. Her textbooks from 1919 were still on her bookcase when she passed. Grandma was brilliant.





 Grandma Amy Lucille Peck
      
 

28 comments:

  1. Sadly your final picture is missing. How lucky you were to know your Grandmother - who sounds a truly impressive woman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "vile weed"
    The definition of a weed is any undesirable plant. So a rose could be a weed if you don't like roses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It apparently has some medicinal uses, but those burrs are a pain. I checked out: "A rose is a rose. A weed is a weed."

      Delete
  3. Poison Ivy is my most hated weed! Your Grandma sounds like a fabulous woman ahead of her time. I'm sure she would have made a wonderful doctor too. I love that pic of her...so pretty! Don't you just want to make her take her hair down? Maybe it's just me but think how stunning she would look with long locks! Ha! The last pic didn't show up but this was a lovely tribute to her. You're lucky to have her books and good memories of her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just posted another photo. It better work, by golly.

      Delete
  4. Good for her. It sounds like she had a life-long love of learning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a fine tribute to your grandma! She looks like a modern young woman, perhaps brighter, and more skillful, interested in books and science.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was a bold person. As a pharmacist, she supported her family. When she met the future husband, they eloped.

      Delete
  6. I love this post and the first photo of your grandmother. She sounds like quite an amazing woman. The one of her rocking chair didn't show up here. What a role model to have in your life, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took that one down, put up the 2nd photo. Me and photos don't get along.

      Delete
    2. I can see it! What a great woman.

      Delete
  7. Very sharp lady! We need more like her now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Women were not respected or treated with respect. She was one of the few women in a class of 103 men studying to be a pharmacist.

      Delete
  8. I'm so glad she didn't let not having enough money for medical school stop her from pursuing medicine in some form.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Few women made it through the Dr. studies world wide. My grandma was a bold woman.

      Delete
  9. The pictures show a very attractive woman. Fortunately she also had a brain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being given a good brain and thinking skills makes all the difference in one's life.

      Delete
  10. She sounds like a "go-getter" becoming a pharmacist and reading, learning all about plants. I don't recall any of my ancestors having a "profession", the men worked and the women worked in the home. She looks a lovely woman too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She had a robust personality. In her family, she was the money maker after her father made some unwise investments.

      Delete
  11. Hi Susan - what a brilliant woman - were you able to keep/have passed down some of her books. Xanthium is rather dangerous ... it kills animals - so a very challenging weed to have around. Gosh I do hope you've got lots of memorabilia about her ... a wonderful grandma - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have some things. She was buried the day before my wedding, so I was not part of the distribution of her precious things.

      Delete
  12. Awe I fall in love with your grandma dear Susan!
    What an awesome lady nurtured with love of learning ❤️ an ideal person to have in life.
    My grandma unlike grandpa who was book lover. She was story teller. One of the best of her time though.
    Thank you so for sharing beautiful memories

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like they compliment each other with their talents. I imagine you have Grandma's gifts.

      Delete
  13. She sounds so lovely. Mine complained at the sound of, "How are you?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both grandmas were good people, loved me, and I really missed them when they passed away. Sorry yours didn't see what she could do.

      Delete
  14. Xanthium has its place in the ecosytem. It is only by anthropogenic definition it becomes undesireable. Burrs were the inspiration for Velcro.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!