blog Followers

Sunday, January 1, 2023

My Mom's Cookbook


Index Page:  my mom, Irma Peck  
 


My mother was a creative cook and could make anything taste good.

Like many farm wives, my mother was part of the Home Extension Association.  
 
 Once a month the farm women would meet at one’s home, listen to a lesson presented by two of their group about foreign countries and foods.  
 
It was a time to socialize, eat, and bring home interests, and some gossiping.
 
My mother was part of a committee that put together the first cookbook:  Pick County (Illinois) Homemakers’ Favorite Recipes, 1982.
 
.recipes

 
 
 
I  hope the recipe shows. Let me know if it doesn't.
 
 On winter afternoons, Mom, my sister, and I made massive amounts of these.  When one brother cut through the kitchen to the porch, he grabbed two handfuls. He had big hands.


Please note:  heavy wear

Cookbooks were more common when Mom was a young mom. and liked to use different books.  One of the older books, the pages were fragile, couldn't be used. Most of the time, Mom didn't use them. She had them memorized.

Does any blogger here remember cookbooks, had some?  

This is a post that I write, and re-write. This was 2012, I think.  I'm going to make mincemeat pie. It is raining outside, time to preheat the oven.


17 comments:

  1. I have a couple of favorite cookbooks. This one would be the kind i'd love to use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This cook book is actually fun to read. My English-American family sat down with it, sat and read some of the recipes. One is elephant stew (meat source is elephant and rabbit) , and Insulated coveralls Flambe is one the farmer wives understand well. There is Snack turnovers for 100, and also green jello with canned fruit to feed 100.If you are not picky, you'll be fine.

      Delete
  2. Which recipe did you post? I'd love to know. There is a big blank space here with writing down the left hand side. I don't recall my mum having a cookbook, she just cooked. She didn't make things like biscuits (cookies), those were bought in packages from the shops. I remember things like soup with dumplings, goulash, apple strudel for dessert.
    I have several cookbooks, bought mostly for the pictures although I did make a few things from them. They aren't really necessary for mashed potatoes and gravy or throwing together a salad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The big blank space was the page with the recipe on it. It is for molasses cookies. I will have to check if anyone else is missing one.

      Delete
  3. I have several cookbooks - and still use them. The most used recipes have stains on the pages...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mom's books were like a war zone of ingredients.

      Delete
  4. One of my favorites is an old cookbook from the 1930's. Good stick to the stomach recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let me know if the first photo above isn't showing, please. Some sites have it, while a few do not.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's a blogger who collects those old printed cookbooks. She has quite the selection at this point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be one big collection. It would be fun to scroll through them.

      Delete
  7. Recipe not showing for me ...

    I can remember my Mum used Mrs Beeton's household and cook book :)

    Happy New Year Wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried different downloads and I think I have it right. Let me know.

      Delete
    2. I purchased a copy from Barnes & Noble after they had a mini series about the Mrs. Beeton in history. LIfe was not easy, but she produced such a cookbook.

      Delete
  8. Thank you, the recipe shows now. I finally found molasses once a long time ago and tried something with it, I don't remember what now, probably cookies. I DO remember that I didn't like them. It's something you have to grow up with I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a taste. After a big flood and the corn fields were gone, we raised a field of molasses. Local farmers processed it. It was important during rationing.

      Delete
  9. Hi Susan - what a wonderful book to have available to you ... such memories. My mother had numerous recipes she'd recorded, kept and used and left for the cook for her use, when she worked in the Care Home my mother had sold. However when I asked for it back - the owner, the chap my mother had sold the business to, said they'd chucked it out ... gosh was I upset: I'd have loved to have had it ... Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!