blog Followers

Tuesday, September 7, 2021

On the Clotheslines

 


Wet clothing pinned and clipped on lines

Towels and pants on one high end,
Sheets and shirts other end of twines,
Hanging down low as centers bend.


But, in the middle, too shy to publicly fly,

Hangs the underwear, bleached and white.
Playing hide and seek from those near-by,
Wanting oh-so-badly to take flight.

Oh, for a strong wind to play,

Coming across and sweeping away
The blues, the whites, and the gray,
Onto tractor windows, passing this day.


Bras, panties with hearts, boxers brave

Landing square on a farmer's face,
No dignity there is left to save,
Underwear at last has found a place.





I have had much experience with laundry on the line, years and years of it.  

I wrote this poem with a head full of memories and my mother's commands to hang the underwear in the middle of the second line, out of sight.  "We don't want neighbors to see what we wear." 

 Neighbors?  The nearest lived a half  a mile away.  The lines were behind the house.  But I was obedient. 

If anyone wants to sing the praises of laundry drying on clothesline, go ahead. I will not be agreeing with you. Too many images carrying laundry basket after each other has left me with a desire to never hang clothes out blowing in the wind. Sorry.

This is a repost from 2015 in A-Z Blogfest, U is for Underwear. Dang it, it was entertaining to my brain to toss around.

30 comments:

  1. My mother always hung laundry on our clothes line. So much work! I've never had to use one. In the cities, automatic dryers existed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We hung laundry until I was a teenager. Still had to iron, but when Mom got a real washer, it was like it was a gift from Heaven.

      Delete
  2. I agree with you, i never want to see another clothes line, i the GIRLchild was the laundress, including the maytag wringer, and the two rinses in tubs and from there to the lines and wait until dry and into the house and sprinkled with a coke bottle with a stopper full of holes and on to the ironing board. I LOVE my washer dryer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and I are sisters! You write out my experiences, down to the coke bottle.
      A washer and dryer were amazing.

      Delete
  3. Washer, dryer, wash and wear clothes. The only way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Despite the additional effort I much prefer the scent and the feel of sun dried clothes. We have a drier and use it as little as possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Part of our experience was that we raised hogs, so the dust and smell required us to pay attention to all.

      Delete
  5. This was fun. What I remember hanging out was diapers. I really did not know there were rules for hanging clothes. I always just hung what was next in the basket. But since I have gotten older I have heard OLD people say there were rules for underwear, I didn't know that.
    Any thanks for the entertainment. We enjoyed the visit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always love when you stop by. OLD people?

      Delete
    2. My mum never cared. She'd say "everyone wears underpants, even the Queen and if anyone is uncomfortable seeing ours that's their shame not mine."

      Delete
  6. I feel fortunate to have been born after clotheslines were largely a thing of the past.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No washer and dryer until I was married and had a baby. I hung plenty of diapers until we bought a used washer and dryer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We used cloth diapers until Pampers came along.

      Delete
    2. I used cloth nappies even after disposable ones came along. I just don't see the sense in paying money every single week for years for something that gets thrown away.

      Delete
  8. You don't see many clothes lines these days.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor: come to Australia, they're everywhere.

      Delete
  9. That picture could have been me and my mum 65 years ago, except we only had two lines running the length of the backyard, from house almost to fence. Then we got a hills hoist and we could almost stand in one spot and spin the line to get to the next section. I still prefer line dried clothes over machine dried, it's the one thong I enjoy most about spring and summer, bringing in armfuls of sunshine-smelling clothes and linens.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Replies
    1. I was trying to imagine hanging thongs on the line.

      Delete
  11. I'm SO lucky. I bought a house that still has a clothes line. I use it in the summer. The clothes smell SO much fresher when they come inside. Over the years, I have determined instead of hanging clothes on the line, I place them on hangers (plastic) and hang the hangers on the line. Clothes dry nicely, no need to fold or iron, either. As for undies, they'll stay in the house to dry on hangers, thank you. In the winter, I use the dryer like "normal people."

    ReplyDelete
  12. I used to do the weekly laundry for my family of nine in order to get out of doing dishes that day. For me it was a bargain. I would not want to do it again though. Washing them in the wringer washer, hanging them on the line, and taking them in when they were dry was only the beginning. Folding and putting away those things that didn't need ironing was next. Sprinkling and rolling those that did need ironing was last for the day. I also got out of doing the dishes the next day because I was willing to do the ironing too. Can you tell I didn't like to do dishes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sound like you were down the road from our farm. I did all of that! On top of the washing marathon, then there was the ironing. Most clothing was cotton.

      Delete
  13. There was a famous home owner in Galveston who came home one day from work and rounded the corner in his carriage to see, to his dismay, his daughter's bloomers hanging on the line. He had a wall built to hide the family wash.

    To preserve clothes longer, i don't dry my items in a dryer, but i use an indoor drying rack for my stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we lived in Ireland, we used the line 100% of the time. The dryer was for school uniforms.
      Poor guy. Other clothing items will be seen, no matter what.

      Delete
  14. Reminders of my childhood. We had the clotheslines in the backyard, propped up with props...along with the wood-burning copper.

    Take care. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. And now all underwear goes in the tumble dryer. :D

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!