Robert Frost is a poet who influenced my generation, and certainly many generations. He was the poet who introduced me to poetry, when he recited a poem at the inauguration of President John F. Kennedy. I was in fourth grade, a voracious reader, but not a reader of poetry.
Grandma Peck had a book case of very old books on all topics. She had been a pharmacist, in 1916; she was the only female in a class of 100 men. Her books were heavy, and with very dry content in my nine-year old opinion. But, she pulled out some well worn books of poetry: Kipling, Wordsworth, Dickinson, and of course, Frost. It was as if she had lighted a fire under me, and I devoured the poetry.
Unfortunately, time and short-circuits have prevented my brain from pulling the words out of my brain on command. I can only remember bits, but they are flavorful bits. Thankfully, the computer can do the recalling for me, most of the time.
Frost wrote about walking in the woods on a fall day:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and
Whatever my age, and no matter how the next few years evolve, I will continue to thank Mr. Frost for the value of paths that “…diverge in a yellow wood…” and taking a path less traveled by. It has made all the difference.
Please check out the blogspot below; Arlee Bird and his crazy crew are hosting this A-Z blog, and you will want to see other entries. They are awesome!
http://tossingitout.blogspot.com
Please check out the blogspot below; Arlee Bird and his crazy crew are hosting this A-Z blog, and you will want to see other entries. They are awesome!
http://tossingitout.blogspot.com
I love that poem.
ReplyDeleteI love that poem, too. The idea of roads diverging and taking the road less travelled is something that inspires me so much in life.
ReplyDeleteI love this poem too. I recited it at my 8th grade graduation. It held so much meaning for me then and it still does today.
ReplyDeleteBrianna
It has been too long since I read Frost. Thank you for sharing. I'm stopping by from the "A to Z" challenge and I look forward to reading more from you.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing Robert Frost on "D" Day! I really am glad I took the time to read the poem fully for the first time in years. Following via A-Z!
ReplyDeleteI can't hear that poem and not think of a play I was in during high school. It was just a small line in the play, but that is what stuck with me.
ReplyDeleteI love Robert Frost!!!! And his poems. You made me smile-it brought back lots of good memories!
ReplyDelete