blog Followers

Thursday, June 11, 2026

Different skillsets for different people

 

Ludlow Castle - A Guide and brief History

 Ludlow Castle. Shropshire, England

When Will and Bobbie got a letter informing them that they had been accepted to be part of “Life in a Castle for 6 months to learn and manage the reality of life in a castle, well, they were beyond excited. 

Apparently, they had skills that would prove useful for the care of a huge old castle in Ludlum, England. Will had won Forged in Fire episode where he won $10,000 for making an outstanding sword.

Bobbie’s special skill was not really evident. His dad owned a company that installed septic systems for excrement disposal. On his dad’s advice, Bobbie wrote that he was a manager of “Septic System R Us”.

They found themselves in the bailey with a large crew surrounded by forests leading to bog land, a variation of villages and fields around them.   Will was led to the stables where he would prove his skills making metal objects. No problem, he would do just fine.

Bobbie, on the other hand, was taken to the part of the Castle called the “garderobe”. He thought he would be a guard of a robe, some sort of clothing. He strutted proudly to the area, where his skills could be used.

When the group reached the side where the “garderobe” was, it was explained what it was. Bobbie looked up at the part at the top of the castle where the occupants used the garderobe as a toilet and deposited excrement to fall all at the bottom of the wall. Workers then shoveled the poop into a wagon to take to the fields beyond. 

Bobbie shook his head, sighing heavily, looking at a pile of excrement recently dropped from the toilet “Poop follows me wherever I go. Dad would be so proud.”

Medieval toilets were called garderobes

 ***What is a garderobe? Look here: https://share.google/2rGf5I3qoK0TRZg1b

Wed Words, 6-5-26 can be found at River, where other bloggers are challenged to use 6-12 words and write for fun. Go there and post your own take on the words:

1.sculpture  2.amendment  3.timeline  4.bog  5.castle

and/or:

1.sword  2.crew  3.buffalo  4.forest  5.variation

 

27 comments:

  1. I would say that Bobbie was the most important member of that staff. Absolutely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, he has the most important job. the upper elites have not idea what would happen if there were no one like him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a very interesting use of the words. I have never heard the word "garderobe" before, though I knew they must have had some sort of system.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow we all can learn something. Interesting thanks. God stuff, bu I don't want to lean to live in castle. LOL I have missed commenting, even after reading.. Love from NC.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It comes with job security, that’s certain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, very few people would shovel poop for a living.

      Delete
  7. Better than pooping inside the castle itself I guess...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gotta have somewhere to do this. In Game of Thrones, Charles Dance was killed while using this treasure.

      Delete
  8. I absolutely had no idea how poop was handled in a medieval castle - LOL! I guess somebody had to shovel it. Such a clever story, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies


    1. When we visited Ludlum in 2004 my history teacher daughter told me about this gem of knowledge. I needed to finally get to use it.

      Delete
  9. I am laughing. My blurry, morning eyes read your title as, 'Different Skillets for.....' Oh, how interesting, thought I, I have my own different skillets that I use for different purposes. Your post was much more enlightening and interesting! I love reading your Wed Words and seeing how you so skillfully weave the words into amazing posts!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my, poor Bobbie! These images - coupled with your story -- take all my imagined romance out of Camelot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being one of the people who use the gardetrobe are the elite.Tne ones who trudge out to fields are considerations to be low class. Watch Game of thrones where Charles Dance is on the toilet, and gets killed by Peter Dinklage

      Delete
  11. Poor, Bobbie:) Susan, what part of IL did you live in? I grew up around Springfield and my parents were from Southern IL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I lived in Pike county, Illinois...along the Mississippi, in Pittsfield.as home for me long ago. My brother lives in Chatham.

      Delete
  12. And here I was hoping that Bobbie would devise a more efficient way to handle things. I was also wondering... don't the shovelers get splashed? Ick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the time the solid matter is dropping the watery stuff will flow down?

      Delete
    2. There would have to be some sort of warning system "look out below" or a time when no one can use the facility for a short while.

      Delete
    3. I don't know if there was a watcher to give a warning.

      Delete
  13. This was a clever story ... very well done.
    Sending good wishes to you.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. We stood and looked up at the toilet "flush" area and thought about the facilities.

      Delete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!