Drawer full of watches
Worn out bands
Carried by old hands.
Once.
Marked time,
Minute by minute.
Marked time,
But lived a life
Once.
Running out of time
Steps harder and slower.
Walking in molasses
Pulling
On each step.
Molasses, black molasses
Leaving a mess
On road behind.
Footprints that follow footprints
Will any come after
And
Follow mine?
Time
Running out of time.
Like watches in a drawer
Worn-out bands
Not ticking, now quiet.
Time is past, long gone.
I found Dad's watches
In a drawer after he passed.

It was finding a treasure. You must have been so happy.
ReplyDeleteI can remember the watches on his wrist. they were so important to him.
DeleteOh, that God would grant us the wisdom to count our days and treasure each and every moment we are given in this life, Susan. Your reflection here brought tears to my eyes as I recall the times when I did not know how to value every minute I had with loved ones now gone. Your words have blessed me more than you could know.
ReplyDeleteNow more than ever, I appreciate life and time.
DeleteMay we savor every minute with which we are blessed.
ReplyDeleteSavor is a great word.
DeleteI like the image of all those old watches. I have a few myself, they only need new batteries to get going again, but I will leave them where they are.
ReplyDeletemy granddaughter has cleaned out drawers for me, and she found watches galore.
DeleteLove, love, love the poem - sweet sadness. Makes one think!
ReplyDeleteOne's mortality has a beginning and an end. Life has taught me that.
DeleteI have a box of my dad's old watches, and I never really thought of them in the way the poem speaks. That was tender...
ReplyDeleteThank you...tender is a strong word.
DeleteI have Daddys old book and a pair of his really old glasses. the poem is a description of old age and the way I am feeling more and more each day. Like I am a watch, waiting to be put in the drawer.
ReplyDeleteYes..it surely is.
DeleteHow neat that you have your dad's old watches. I had one after my dad passed away, but I can't seem to find it now. I've always loved clocks and watches. What will you do with them?
ReplyDeleteno idea.
Delete