This episode of Star Trek: Next Generation has hung on my brain for decades. Decades.
This episode from Star Trek: the next generation was unusual in that it didn't deal with war, space exploration, or conflicts between warring species. It instead focused on the role of children in-the space tech world. Wesley is the boy genius on the Enterprise, the son of the ship's doctor.
In this episode, Captain Riker has returned from a sexual overload trip, where one of the ladies sharing his bed shares a game from her ship and Riker is happy to bring to the Enterprise. It proves to be a disaster as the entire crew is enthralled with this game. Only Wesley and the girlfriend (Ashley Judd) are not giving into this, leading to the chase to capture them and force the game on them.
What happens? Won't tell you, except that all ends well.
What this episode said to me is that anything and everything can turn a situation on its head . It took over the ship and was poised to the destabilizing the security of the ship. This game left Enterprise open for being taken over by the race who use this game to weaken the ship.
Our games? The computer? the cell phones? Aren't all of these the equivalents of the game device in this Star Trek episode?
I realize that many bloggers do not know of Star Trek:The Next Generation or like it. Star Trek helped me escape the farming world and head out to the stars.
I definitely remember that episode. (And I've watched all of the Star Trek series at least five times!)
ReplyDeleteYup, we have also.
DeleteI vaguely recall the episode. I follow Wil Wheaton on social media nowadays. He's grown into an intelligent adult. (We're roughly the same age.)
ReplyDeleteI have often wondered about the actors from the Star trek series. Some were bound for bigger things, you see that. did they get there?
DeleteI do not remember watching Star Trek.. It was my best friends shows, but for some reason, it neve clicked with me, but of course I KNOW it was very popular... My sons liked it...
ReplyDeleteYou were the escapist I wanted to be. I wanted to join the Star Trek cast.
DeleteI haven't seen Star Trek TNG or even most of the original Star Trek, only the TV series from way back whenever that was. I have them on usb somewhere but have little interest and even less time.
ReplyDeletedon't watch them...You are not a star trek groupie, like me.
DeleteOh, I remember bits of that episode!
ReplyDeleteGood, it was a departure from the usual themes.
DeleteIndeed, keeping us with our heads in our games keeps us out of the main game which they play with great precision and skill.
ReplyDeleteYup, that's right.
DeleteYou are exactly right.
DeleteWell, I feel old now, because I loved TNG, though I don't recall this specific episode. It's eerie how predictive some post tv shows and movies are, no?
ReplyDeleteIt truly is. The TV shows seem to have their ears turned toward the events and where it seems to be going.
DeleteExcellent point. I'm not a Trekkie so I am ignorant of the episode. I understand the basis for the problem.
ReplyDeleteI am hoping that bloggers check it out. Although it has been 3 decades since this episode, it is eerie that this is so predictive.
DeleteI'm going back a little!!!
ReplyDeleteI did watch a few episodes of the original Star Trek with William Shatner & Co. but not watched any of the newer series.
Although I think it does have a large world-wide following and Trekkie events etc.
All the best Jan