blog Followers

Monday, January 5, 2026

Snakes on the move

 

Shawnee-National-Forest-snake-road 

Spring is the time for the annual "snake migration" in Illinois. 

In the spring, snakes go traveling, on a quest in Southern Illinois The Forest Services says that short stretch of road offers the chance to see a diverse array of not only snakes, but other reptile and amphibian species. “About 66 percent of the amphibians and 59 percent of the reptiles known to occur in Illinois are found here,” the Forest Service says of snake road during the migration.

Science is amazing, life is amazing. God, who created them all and set things in motion, is beyond amazing.


_MG_2739_edited_marked
smlagrange.wordpress.com
 
Snake migrating: A yearly gathering in Southern Illinois

Common names of some of the species you might encounter on or near Snake Road include:

Spiny Softshell
Northern Red-Bellied Snake
Spotted Salamander
Chorus Frog
Slimy Salamander

Broadheaded Skink
Eastern Hognose Snake
Red Milk Snake
Midland Water Snake
Western Ribbon Snake
 
The list above is a partial listing of snakes in Illinois. It is estimated that 70% of American snakes live there. 

Notice that lizards and turtles are there as well, to snack on the baby snakes. Also, they would be lunch for snakes. 

My son is an entomologist who did his graduate work at University of Illinois, Champaign-Urbana. One event he arranged for undergrads was to take them to view the "Annual Snake Migration in Southern Illinois".  


I had never heard of the migration, thought it was something made-up. He described this with great enthusiasm and their one overnight campout went without any mishaps. 

He spoke of making another trip where hunters nailed dead squirrels on to  trees in this forest. This is now considered to be an urban myth, thankfully.
 

Southern Illinois is the top place for migrating snakes
to hook with its species.
 about 1+ min. long
 
 
about 2 minutes long
 
Many many sites are about the annual Snake Migration in Illinois, which quite an event.  Tourists travel to observe this! Would you?
 Any amazing % of the American snakes live in Illinois.
 
For anyone wanting to finding out about this can

22 comments:

  1. I wouldn't travel to see a snake migration, I prefer to be as far away from them as possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would use a drone, just because a drone sounds like it would be far away from snakes.

      Delete
  2. Nope, would not travel to see it, my son joined the herpetoligist group in Savannah when he was 13, the age limit was 15, but he was 6'2'' at 13, and very mature. he spent his week ends hunting snakes in the countryside surrounding Savannah GA, lots of snakes there back then. I never knew what would show up in the house. name a reptile and we had it. I don't hate snakes but am afraid of the poisonous ones. we love our backyard snakes, we have a family of black snakes and they are so beautiful when they slither.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Black snakes are sleek snakes and we appreciated them. Kept the mouse and rat populations down.

      Delete
  3. Wouldn't go see it either although it sounds like most of the snakes are non-poisonous. Bet it's quite the sight though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently the snake population increases after this trip. This is where the snakes meet and greet, which is always interesting.

      Delete
  4. That's certainly a phenomena I've never heard of before, Susan. No, snakes and I have never seen eye-to-eye, so I wouldn't want to see that in person. There is no end to the wonders of God's creation, that's for sure. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snakes have their world of creatures to kill and eat. This is not supposed to be in our houses! What a thought.

      Delete
  5. That is amazing and I haven't heard of it before. I wouldn't make the trip but if I lived near it, I might venture out just so I could desensitize my fear of snakes. Thankfully I'm not as fearful as I once was and that's because I've tried to understand their purpose. They really are fascinating creatures. Thanks for sharing this. I will show my husband who actually likes snakes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad that this caught you! My husband always finds the topics of my posts interesting.

      Delete
  6. I live in the so-called capitol of the prairie rattlesnake in Iowa. I have been back here for almost 15 years and I have only seen 3 live snakes. Not a rattle among them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iowa! We lived there in early 70s, JOhn was in grad school in Ames. I had never seen such flat land; in1974 there was a huge snow blizzard and the city stopped. We moved to California and have been here off and on for nearly 50 years..

      Delete
  7. That would be something to go see. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must be amazing to see. I grew up in Illinois, and the only snakes I saw were black snakes, which were good mousers, I hear.

      Delete
  8. Every day is a learning day, never knew this of course... Thinking of you our here on the first coast...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I wonder about you and Sherry. Are you there for the rest of the winter?

      Delete
  9. I wouldn't mind seeing it if I happened to be near at the time. My #2 Son would love to see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have gotten more comments from women. than men. Our son loves seeing, finding, and exam them.

      Delete
  10. I am very fond of snakes. I don't want to be bitten by any of them, but they are amazing to watch and are also helpful around the place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they are amazing creatures! They are beautiful.

      Delete
  11. I'm like Indiana Jones. I hate snakes. I can appreciate them behind glass at the zoo. But I'd rather not encounter any. They can stay in their lane, I'll stay in mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am fascinated by them, and impressed by them, but I am happy/thrilled to see them behind glass.

      Delete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!