Stretched out on the bed, Gwen wondered if life could get much more boring than this.
Anything…almost anything…would be better than this.
Anything…almost anything…would be better than this.
Every
last vegetable in the
garden that could be canned had been canned. In fact, the garden was a
pile of pulled weeds. Yard was mowed. Siding washed down. Fence wire
repaired.
The hogs were wearing down in the heat. Which is why she was at home: to spray water over the hogs to cool them down.
The slightest sound brought Gwen almost to the point of throwing furniture down the stairs or ripping down the laundry line.
Is this what it feels to be insane, to lose
my mind?
The parents were at a church committee
meeting. The older brothers had taken the
truck to somewhere.
That point seemed
rather vague.
Lightning had blown out the transformer yesterday, taking all the electricity with it.
No TV. No one to phone. No radio. Nothing.
What do you think a bored teen (boy or girl) would do in this
situation?? What would you do?
Maybe, read a book??? Blessings, Susan!
ReplyDeleteI consumed books whenever I could. Having a house empty to me would be awesome.
DeleteAh, to have such time to rest. That's the dream. I always have projects going, so a sudden afternoon with no plans? I'll find something to fill it. (I just got my order of yarn, so I can start working on a sweater for a nephew for Christmas.)
ReplyDeleteI imagine your hands are always busy.
DeleteBack to sleep. When I was a teenager it was my favorite thing to do..
ReplyDeleteSaturday what the only day I could sleep a little later.
DeleteYou are only bored when closed to learning something new.
ReplyDeleteThat is so true. Never bored when reading a good book.
DeleteI would read, it's all I ever did anyway. You're never bored when lost in a great book.
ReplyDeleteI consumed all the Louisa May Alcott books, moving onto Agatha Christie.
DeleteI know, but I ain't gonna say, me thinks. LOLL
ReplyDeleteMy mother in law always told her children "Kanes are never bored.'
DeleteI would light the storm lanterns and sit reading until the electricity came back.
ReplyDeleteIt is hard to do when your house is in the middle of a cornfield.
DeleteIf it was me? Probably read or write in my diary. HOWEVER ... if I was one of my characters in my WIP ... probably get up to some mischief!
ReplyDeleteI eventually let myself sneak into elements in the story.
DeleteWhen I was a young lad I'd bury myself in a book. Even better by candle or lamp light. No boredom for me!
ReplyDeleteI consumed books, too. Boredom is rampant when the electricity was off.
Delete