blog Followers

Tuesday, September 3, 2024

The Best in the New World

 

chocolate and coffee seeds on table near bowls

                                       Coffee and Chocolate

 Chocolate: Say the word and watch the heads nod.  Coffee/caffeine: Would you like a cup of coffee? and heads will nod again.


Why is there such strong connections to such appreciation?

Theobromine* is basically in both coffee and chocolate. It has something to do with taming the alkaloids.  Note the two differences in the molecular formula.

georgi-bohan-image
Theobromides in Chocolate



Chocolate= C7 H8 N4 O2  Caffeine= C8 H10 N4 O2

Chocolate and Caffeine are close cousins, if not siblings.  God created both. Both came from the New World. God meant for man to consume them. How much, He did not say. Go out now! Buy some. 

Now, for some tea, a gift from the Far East. 


Tea= C10 H12 O5 Ca N2 Na2 2H2O

How to make a perfect cup of English tea
 
I have NO idea what all the above means. Do not believe for one moment all these numbers and elements that I know how to read them. My husband can, but was not interested.
 
The upshot of this is that the plants in this world are amazing.

Note for tea drinkers: the molecular formula is much more complicated, as it contains so many variations, with unique and delightful stuff in it. All the variations make no sense to me either.

*Go to this site. It is about a 13 year student in England who worked this out.

 This is a post from 2015, I think.

 

32 comments:

  1. Can't stand coffee but I do like chocolate and green tea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coffee is not everyone's cup of tea. Chocolate might be.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There you go. You have your cake and eat it too.

      Delete
  3. Have you read the latest about chocolate? It seems the plant absorbs cadmium through its roots. And because of the way the beans are dried, they get coated with lead from road dust. The warning was to limit dark chocolate as it has higher concentrations of lead and cadmium. Milk chocolate is the safer choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my. that is distressing. My consumption of chocolate has been cut back as the cost of good chocolate has gone up.

      Delete
  4. Chocolate without sugar I can't eat, and since I gave up sugar in 2017 I don't eat chocolate, but I would if I could and not weigh in at over 200 pounds. Coffee is my only vice, but I drink 2 cups a day and in cold weather 3. you do not want to talk to me until after the one cup. I am already dreading my Nov appt for blood lab work which means no coffee until after the test. both of these can be and often are addictive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom kept the percolator constantly running. My folks drank coffee at any and all times of the day. Whenever I dusted, I would find random cups of almost finished coffee.

      Delete
  5. I love coffee and chocolate, but have both in moderation. I found this so interesting, Susan. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every thing has to be in moderation. Even cheesecake.

      Delete
  6. I can no longer drink coffee, but do love chocolate (and should moderate my consumption). Tea for me. Weak tea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tea is an ever present comfort and relaxation.

      Delete
  7. Not a scientist, but it was explained to me this way. The three chemicals have different effects. The one in chocolate has almost no effect on stimulating the nervous system. The one in tea has an effect in some people, not in others, and can vary from variety to variety. The one in coffee has a definite effect, although your body can become accustomed up to a certain point.

    Also, tea has 2x it's version of the chemical than coffee does of it's version, but a pound of tea makes 200 cups approximately, and a pound of coffee only 50 or so, thus there ends up being less in each cup of tea than each cup of coffee.

    As for me, if I have more than my normal one cup of coffee each morning, I will have a caffeine induced panic attack. I can drink tea day and night with no effect.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love coffee and chocolate! I have to have one strong cup of coffee in the am to survive! I like tea too! Hot and cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have tea in the morning, and then 2 cups of decaf coffee throughout the day. Chocolate is an anytime treat. I like the dark chocolate, but it is too bitter.

      Delete
  9. I do understand the molecular diagram. They make such things in wall art and jewelry, for those that appreciate such things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband has several science tee shirts that are science. I don't know if he has one with the cart.

      Delete
  10. I'm not supposed to drink coffee because I like it sweet and put in too much sugar, so I didn't have any since 2018 until just recently, now I limit myself to one or two cups a day, figuring at least that's less sugar than the hot chocolate I was drinking instead. I have learned to drink tea as well, but with honey. I still eat chocolate, but have cut the consumption by about 80%, mostly because it's just too expensive now. Have you ever eaten chocolate covered coffee beans? So yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chocolate covered coffee beans is amazing. I have to be cautious about the caffeine in such a treat.

      Delete
  11. I did smile, thanks for the science lesson. I really did smile, that is about all I can do with science. LOL Enjoyed the visit. jack in NC for a couple weeks more....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found the science of it all is amazing. Have a good time in NC.

      Delete
  12. I'll skip coffee in favor of chocolate and tea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chocolate, definitely. I still would have coffee.

      Delete
  13. I don't like coffee so I don't drink it. Chocolate is another matter. Love love love it. I am also a tea drinker. I like a good strong breakdast tea or Earl Grey the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have tried all sorts of tea, herb and black teas. Herb teas are great for when I am not great. Earl Grey, mmmm.

      Delete
  14. I can no longer drink more than a sip or two of coffee (I suspect it's the acid). I do miss coffee.I join you in liking Earl Grey tea. Tea, I don't have digestive issues with if only a cup or two but there is so much variety in herbal teas, that's what I gravitate to more and more. I don't worry about the chemical equations. Now, if I suddenly became sensitive to chocolate, I would miss it tremendously. Alana ramblinwitham

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Earl Grey is my tea of choice. Decaf coffee is next.

      Delete
  15. I do enjoy a square of dark chocolate occasionally ...
    I've just enjoyed a late night cuppa. Tea is my preferred drink.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tea is my morning drink. Coffee is later in the day. And chocolate is at any time.

      Delete
  16. Replies
    1. Oh, coffee and tea are my favorite. chocolate is close behind.

      Delete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!