
This was popular in the 1950s.
"Why
use plain ole butter when you can use… horse fat? The ad boasts using
the finest horse hooves and fat that money can buy. It also says that
it’s great on bread, toast and pancakes.
Just the idea of this
is disgusting to most of the world today, let alone to those concerned
with animal rights. The one redeeming thing about this ad is that it
shows the contrast between yesterday’s world and ours. I don’t think
that using horse fat is even legal anymore, but in the 1950’s it was
simply an alternative. Still, this gives the phrase “I can’t believe
it’s not butter” a whole different meaning." Retro Dee's, Dickman's
(made from the goodness of ponies.)
1950s, burping pen, Grooveyard, Horse fat salad, jello salad, Kraft foods, potato fudge, Retro Dee, tonsils in a jar
Some
of fellow bloggers have questioned its validity, as rightly you should.
While there is butter to use on horses for their health, nothing is
written about this product, dang it. Ponies were popular in the rural
areas where I grew up. The Dept of Agriculture wanted to use ponies as
alternative to beef, so farmers were encouraged to give this a run. That
was in the 1950s.
Give it a try?
Some
readers may consider this a hoax, but it is not. Neighbors did this
experiment. A neighbor Jim tried this, still had one pony left which I saw
in the field a few times.
This was a 2022 blog post. I hope you all will find this inspiring.
My daughter lives in Switzerland and their fine eating is different from ours.
This will tell you more than you ever needed to know about this Switzerland delicacy.
NOT tempted - which is probably my prejudices on display.
ReplyDeleteNo, I am with you. My mom was a superb cook, but drew the line at horses. Snapping turtles, yes. But Ponies??
DeleteI wouldn't try this, I like my butter made from regular cow cream. Unsalted. The pony spread might be more similar to lard or dripping, both made from animal fats, and I never liked either of those as a butter substitute.
ReplyDeleteWe had milk cows on the farm, and they produced so much rich cream. We churned butter, which Mom prepared to sell or trade for other products.
DeleteReally??? Ponies??? It was enough that my mother fell for the lie that margarine is better than authentic butter made from cows' milk, and fed us that in complete ignorance of how sick our government would like to make us. I love that your own mother made her own butter and wouldn't fall for these nutritional fallacies.
ReplyDeleteBlessings, Susan!
I know. We had butter, lard , homemade bread. We churned ice cream on Saturdays in the summer. Dad refused to raise chickens, though.
DeleteI have never heard of this before so it must not have come down to the Deep South where I spent my years. I'm really glad it did not because you're talking to the person who burst into tears and wouldn't talk to Daddy for 2 weeks because he had Mama fry up a half a dozen quail for him to eat
ReplyDeleteIt would take a lot of quail for my family! My brother Bill threw a rock at a quail and he killed it. I was horrified. Mom probably cooked it for him.
DeleteThis is a new one for me, and I thought I knew all about the products of that era, especially farm products. My mom grew up on a farm during the Depression when food was scarce. I never heard about horse fat-- lard yes.
ReplyDeleteLard was a common and necessary product for us. When Dad slaughtered a hog and then sent it to the local guy who rendered fat then cut up the meat for our freezer. We had a 5 gallon container of lard that lasted for the better part of a year.
DeleteI don't think I could eat it if I knew what it was. I'm not usually a fussy eater but when it comes to meat I have a short list.
ReplyDeleteWe have to draw the line somewhere.
DeleteI just can't... Although, sadly, if this had caught on, we probably wouldn't even bat an eye at this today. I mean, some of the things we do eat are kind of horrifying if you think about it.
ReplyDeleteSwitzerland has many customs that I don't understand completely. Out in the hillsides are farms where dogs serve many purposes. One is help with livestock, the other is being part of the dinner, stew maybe.
DeleteAMEN TO YOU AND 'RIVER', FROM THE GUY WHO CAN'T TYPE BUT CAN CUT AND PAST!
ReplyDeleteI am so glad to see your name! Hope you and Sherry are well.
DeleteThat... is just wrong...
ReplyDeleteI know. It was trial that didn't go.
DeleteNope - it's not real. This is a fake ad and was a JOKE ad. Made by a guy who re-makes old vintage ads for fun. This was NEVER a product, and no, was NOT a real ad. Easy to look up and debunk. Sorry.
ReplyDeleteOH, I hope not. I gotta check this out.
Delete