blog Followers

Wednesday, June 26, 2024

The Cat Came Back

 

  We live in a "retirement community" where the age requirement is 55+ (closer to 80). Most residents have little fluff ball dogs, which are taken for walks and are loved. Few have cats, which are by necessity indoor cats. They are a favored treat of coyotes. Rabbits run too fast, but a cat has few chances of reaching safe ground. 

There is a lovely old woman who has come to my door several times asking if I had seen her cat.  Her caregiver behind her, keeping her steady, while the old woman said that her name was Helen.

Her trembling voice and stooped body told me that she was indeed frail.  I wished I could help her, but the caregiver took her away to another house. 

 So, I think about her now and then.  I wish that her cat would finally come back. 


20 comments:

  1. I hope her friend does (or did) return.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so hope that elderly lady's cat returns soon, Susan. It breaks my heart to think that her beloved companion might have met a tragic end.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. It is heartbreaking, and Helen is confused.

      Delete
  3. I hope the cat returns, but I have a feeling that it won't. Very sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Outdoor cats don't survive long. Coyotes and falcons are searching for food.

      Delete
  4. And here's me guiltily confessing after I found a big bloody patch and a lot of cat hair on my clean sheets, I wished my Lola would disappear into thin air. Only for a few minutes while I changed the sheets AGAIN, then I gave her breakfast and we had a nice cuddle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lola! Our son's cat was Scuba and we had a cat in Ireland, Midnight/ Both were huge black toms.

      Delete
  5. I would wonder if perhaps she's remembering a cat she had before she lived there. Sometimes the confusion makes things very difficult, and it may be easier to let her go look than explain to her over and over the cat was from several years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is what I thought also. Her caregiver was kind and watchful over Helen.

      Delete
  6. What a brilliant Muppets Show film; I never saw this one before. I liked Rolf the dog.

    God bless, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rolf was my favorite as well. He was different from other muppets.

      Delete
  7. I agree with messymimi. I think Helen must be remember a beloved pet that crossed the rainbow bridge. Her caregiver is kind to indulge her and taking her door to door.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. The caregiver has been with her a few years now.

      Delete
  8. I am smiling. When I was 4 yrs old, we moved 25 30 miles. My cat left our new home that day. I thought he was a goner. A month later he showed up at our previous home, making me wonder how in the world Tom did that. Mom and dad would not let me take him, this was his home they said..... Good stuff
    Jack..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard of pets searching for the family and go back to the old house. I had a strange student (really strange) who had moved to our school near the new house. He was so upset that he walked many miles to the old house. He climbed up on the roof, trying to get into a narrow pipe that he thought could get him inside.

      Delete
  9. We have had coyotes; we have several cats that make outside appearances. I think the Yotes are well fed on geese around here...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our dry climate and the sage brush make coyotes very happy.

      Delete
  10. I always worry about cats when I know coyotes are out there. That poor woman -- I know if it was Lizzie I would be frantic.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!