blog Followers

Sunday, April 28, 2024

Under a Yellow Sky


Dan watched a mustard yellow sky and listened as sounds of birds silenced.  Rain had been pelting grain fields hard the past few hours with wind sweeping across the farm.

He had always been known for his honesty and degree of readiness in storms like this.  The last time the sky was yellow and the air heavy, Dan recalled how specific he had been about getting the family to safety, telling them what to do when the tornado touched down. 

Back then the funnel had lifted his heaviest truck and ripped the bottom carriage right off, flinging it to the neighboring farm.  Tornadoes flagrantly pass through, shredding a life’s work in a matter of seconds.

Dan watched for Jenny and the kids, praying for them to be safe.  As he headed to the shelter, his old Toyota tore into the drive.  “Now!  Get in now!” He ran to the shelter behind his family.

Dan wrapped his arms around Jenny and his children in the shelter as the roaring monster touched down.  “Safe. Safe…” They all prayed.

The underlined are Wed. Words are from May 2022. 




This is tornado season throughout the Midwest. I grew up in there, never experienced a tornado there.  Our farm was surrounded by cliffs and cornfield.  But other places on the plains were swept by strong winds.

One day when my folks were out, the air  turned yellow, and there was a silence like never heard on a farm. We were scared, being young ( I was 11), and didn't know what to do.  Nothing happened.  We talked about where we could go.   No basement, no shelters? 

I decided that heading down to a small muddy creek that ran deep through a trench leading to the Bay Creek..  That would be safe, despite other dithering siblings' opinions that we should go to the barn. The barn was built 100 years ago, not all that steady. 

People in those zones are brave and resilient.  God bless them and keep them safe.


16 comments:

  1. I would NOT want to live anywhere where tornadoes strike often, Susan. I'm praying for all those impacted by these severe storms!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One year the town of Joplin, MO, was nearly wiped off the map. I live in California where earthquakes can happen. We have felt some aftershocks from earthquakes further north where earthquakes happen more frequently.

      Delete
  2. The tornadoes this week did so much damage. How are people supposed to come back from tha?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question. IN 2011 an E4 tornado tore up Joplin, MO., tearing up 25% of the town. When I was visiting my mom in 2007, there was a tornado siren. Mom wouldn't go down to basement. I told her that I would stay with her.

      Delete
  3. Tornado season is a scary time. We've lucked out where we are in Texas. Some sirens, and a few crazy winds, but nothing like Oklahoma already this season. Good use of words - I could picture the weird sky color. There's just a tinge and a feel to the air. Ominous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oklahoma and Nebraska were hit pretty hard. I don't know how far this monster has gone so far.

      Delete
  4. Praying for people in danger by tornadoes.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The funnel touches ground and takes off, moving fast.

      Delete
  5. Great job on the word usage.
    I grew up in the Midwest too and we had tornadoes all around us. Same town even. Luckily we never sustained a direct hit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were so lucky. A tornado is like a three year old toddler. It dodges around and sometimes we can catch him and sometimes not.

      Delete
  6. We live on the hurricane coast, and you can usually be prepared. We're getting more and more tornadoes here, though, and it's scary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hurricanes do give you a warning. Tornadoes pop up during a moist warm weather front.

      Delete
  7. About 10 years ago we had a tornado about 3 miles from us that tore a few homes off their foundations.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i have seen worst windstorms while living in northern country here ,when day turned in night and strong winds would push huts built on hilltops like straws .
    but this thing looks far scarier indeed
    keeping in prayers all inhabitants dear Susan !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your storms sound scary enough! Prayers are needed for those towns and people.

      Delete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!