blog Followers

Sunday, July 9, 2023

Adam knows everything, and it is creepy

 Adam Moon Landing

A rant is long overdue, so bear with me.

Internet security has always been an issue, and this issue becomes blaring when it affects millions of people worldwide.  This is not just occasional, but as one of many hacking invasions.

My daughter introduced me to "Adam Ruins...", a YouTube series where an incredible revelations about a variety of a broad scary vulnerabilities in today's societies. (While "Adam Ruins..." may or may not totally truthful, this one certainly must be.)

Here is one scary video that is applicable to my rant:


This is 6:20 in time, but well worth the watch.

For instance, I had searched some sites to find a dress or something for my son's wedding.  Since then I have been inundated on Gmail, Blogspot and Facebook sidebars for outfits that may be of interest. Motorcycle parts? NextMD for migraines? IQ tests? (I am brilliant, a genius, by the way.)

Basically we live in a world where privacy is a rare, non-existent luxury. Even "going off the grid" is still not a guarantee.

Not much of a rant, but this is certainly one of outrage, anger, and most of all: fear.

I hope that this is accessible!  If not, paste "Adam ruins + YouTube" in your search.

This is a re-post from 2017. 

15 comments:

  1. And only the companies that can pay for that can benefit from it.
    Overall though, very creepy.
    And still glad I'm not on Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is only one answer to stop the madness! Disconnect ourselves. Don't do Facebook don't blog don't do all the things we love to do and I have considered that but I can't make myself let go of it and I do get aggravated that every time I search something research something for someone else whatever it is I research for them it starts following me around on every page I go to and if I read one article about the royal family which I did a couple of weeks ago now the royal family every time they blink is on my sidebar. Like I said I'll just have to turn off the computer and disconnect but will I

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I walked into store with my daughter.. Lane Bryant has clothing for larger women. She needed some jeans for long legged women. Before we got home, there were messages on phone and computer.

      Delete
  3. The mess on FB is always a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought some undergarments from Jockey not long ago, and I was inundated with both ads and email notices. I was finally able to stop the intrusion when I failed to open the emails and some genius at Jockey figured I wasn't interested. Yes, the lack of privacy is a frightening thing indeed, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's crazy. This is what happens when data becomes monetized. And it's so intrusive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true. We are becoming monetized up one side and down the other.

      Delete
  6. All we can do is live quietly and humbly before The Lord and let the world do what it will. It's going to anyway, and they can take away the things which are of value in eternity. That's how i have to see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen. God looks into our hearts, knows the thoughts.

      Delete
  7. I have often thought about this. Marvelous to have this technology and yet it's scary too, just for the things that you have mentioned. Everything we do, those algorithms are taking notes. There are no secrets anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We went to an Amazon Fresh groceries. Over head there were camera aimed at shoppers. Before we even go to checkout, they have the charge card receipt.

      Delete
  8. Stopping the emails is easy, open one, scroll all the way to the bottom where it says unsubscribe and click on that. I have told all my friends that I will no longer look stuff up for them because I don't want the resulting ads. They can get their own internet or they can go to the library and use theirs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you! People think that we are willing and want to entertain. We had a couple fly to visit us in Ireland for two weeks. By the end of the two weeks, I was so glad.

      Delete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!