blog Followers

Monday, July 24, 2023

How hot is it?

 

The exhibition celebrates the history of an old candle making factory which was based on Bankside more than 100 years ago
The exhibition celebrates the history of an old candle making factory which was based on Bankside more than 100 years ago  

It is July 21 and the day will be roasting hot by noon. Temperatures of our area may reach 108 deg. today. 


Just when the inside feels like I could bake cookies on the counter, a magical thing happens.

Melting Ceramics by Livia Marin pattern cups ceramics
Source: livia-maria
Our local energy company SDG & E electric employs the FLEX energy plan to keep the electrical grids from overloading.  That means they can turn my A/C off.  Off!! with the fan still running. 

Dog
Source
Off, with the interior thermometer rising slowly up the scale.  82º?  That is nothing.  86º, and it keeps rising.  I stop looking.

Outside?  Thermometer past 95 and still going...

The A/C returned.  God bless it.

Truth is: Summer makes me cranky.  Life sucks.  Leave me alone.

This is a re-post from 2020 or 2014 or 2013.  It doesn't matter; hot one year or the other doesn't matter.


31 comments:

  1. I feel for you. Summer turns me into a sad and soggy mess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I become very unhappy when the temp heads to 40C/104F. Very unhappy.

      Delete
  2. Hot is hot! Hang in there! (And thanks for coming by!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love a few days of rain. Or maybe a week.

      Delete
  3. We had the rain for the last week. Today it's 13C and sunny. Stay cool, Susan and hopefully the heat will go aways very soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope and pray. this gets old very fast, lasts a long time.

      Delete
  4. Yeah, I've been positively awful the past week or so. I do not do heat well.

    Although, get one of those Arctic Air thingies. I bought one a couple years back on a whim, and it works. It won't cool off a room, but if your a/c is turned off due to a flex alert, it will blow cold air at you. And sometimes that's all you need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arctic Air? That sounds excellent. Living in a community with very old residents, this would be a great addition.

      Delete
  5. You do not want the AC going out at the height of summer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have been told our electric companies can turn off random aircons too, which makes no sense at all in the heatwave days. If the infrastructure is in danger of overloading perhaps they need to upgrade the works, there seems to be enough profit going to the CEO's to enable that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do keep cool if you can and I don't like the idea of them turning of your electricity but thankfully it returned.
    Living where I do it doesn't get too hot even though some think it does in the summer, our State of Tasmania sells hydro power to the State of Victoria.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tasmania sells its power to state of Victoria?

      Delete
  8. Go buy a generator to run the AC. One that can detect when the power goes off and automatically starts.
    Or rerun power from your main panel to the AC unit that bypasses their cutoff switch.

    ReplyDelete
  9. one of my Husbands longest and loudest rants is over the same thing of the AC off at
    THEIR will!.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stay cool! Love the melting teapot graphic.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The picture of the teapot is wonderful. Try to stay cool.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't know that the living has ever been easy in the summertime, in spite of what the song says.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't understand. Are you saying the electricity company can turn off one item, (the air-con), and keep the fan and other items on, (e.g. fridge, washing machine and cooker)? Are different items on different circuits in the house?

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but it is to save energy. the program reduces the amount and power used by a/c, as it is the biggest energy consumer. the fan is still active, but the temp. control is off. .

      Delete
  14. We have solar panels and a solar battery backup. When temps are forecasted that may put a strain on the energy grid, the electric company buys some of the electricity generated by our solar panels. We're in a program. This helps the strain on the grid and the electric company doesn't have to fire up a gas powered plant to handle the extra demand. We also get $$ back for being in the program. Win win

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After living 27 yrs. in one house, we moved to be closer to our daughter. This house has solar panels, and we also have the benefits.

      Delete
  15. Stay as cool as you can.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!