blog Followers

Thursday, March 23, 2023

Teach your children well

 

                                                Crosby, Stills, and Nash

You, who are on the road
Must have a code that you can live by
And so, become yourself
Because the past is just a goodbye

Teach your children well
Their father's hell did slowly go by
And feed them on your dreams
The one they pick's the one you'll know by

Don't you ever ask them, "Why?"
If they told you, you would cry
So just look at them and sigh
And know they love you

And you (Can you hear?) of tender years (And do you care?)
Can't know the fears (And can you see?)
That your elders grew by (We must be free)
And so, please help (To teach your children)
Them with your youth (What you believe in)
They seek the truth (Make a world)
Before they can die (That we can live in)

And teach your parents well
Their children's hell will slowly go by
And feed them on your dreams
The one they pick's the one you'll know by

Don't you ever ask them, "Why?
If they told you, you will cry
So just look at them and sigh
And know they love you

What  do you think when you hear this song ?

22 comments:

  1. I think '60s. The '60s just had that sound...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does. This was their time, and I remember the sound.

      Delete
  2. A song, and a group, I loved. Even my very far from musical self loved them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Memories say that there were so many groups that I enjoyed: Kingston Trio, Chad Mitchell trio, Righteous brothers.

      Delete
  3. I've always loved that song and the message, Susan.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If we teach our children the things we want them to know they remember and love us for it. As we grow older we are thankful if they retained what we wished for them. We are also more grateful for what our parents taught us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It reminds me of being a little girl. My sisters always had music playing while they cleaned, dressed, played games, slept...pretty much all the time unless they were watching tv and Crosby, Stills, and Nash was always a favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. You have been deprived, then. It was my time, 70s.

      Delete
  7. I miss this era of songwriting...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In current songs, I am never quite sure what they mean or are saying.

      Delete
    2. Firstly, I think about the wonderful music that was around then, during my younger years. Today's music does not hold a candle to it. Over the weekend when chatting with a couple of old friends of my old vintage we commented upon the very subject.

      Also, the song makes me think too many parents today are not teaching their children well...and there are too many children not taking heed. Hence, the increasing numbers in juvenile crime in this country.

      Take good care. :)

      Delete
    3. I'm a retired teacher of 20 years. Saw amazing changes from 1989 - 2008. Many parents try to appease their child, saving them from the challenges of life. And there were no losers in any sport. Even the last one across the finish line got the same medal as the first across.

      Delete
  8. you just made my day Susan !
    thank you for such a lovely song

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so enjoy visiting your blog. You are a beautiful writer.

      Delete
  9. I absolutely love this song. I actually have the CD in my car, and listen to it from time to time. It makes me think of....... neither parents or children know exactly what each other are experiencing at the time.....so just be patient and listen to what they are saying, and maybe what they are not saying. ; )

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the key to parenting and teaching. What one student is feeling one week, will change to another feeling altogether. Listen, watch, pay attention.

      Delete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!