Flag that was flown over the battle of Fort Henry, in Smithsonian
Chris Stapleton, 2023 Super Bowl
Little guy singing his heart out.
No one took a knee. Not one. The athletes were told that they would be fired on the spot. I don't think any of them wanted to take a knee. Peer pressure is a cruel thing to force on players.
Now, what?
Taking a knee, like burning the flag, is a valid form of protest. Are we against protest? I'm not.
ReplyDeleteValid is not a correct word. Taking a knee during the National anthem, one that is honoring veterans and branches of the military disrespects those who have given their lives to protecting our nation.
DeleteSusan, exactly! And those athletes are paid to play. They want to protest, they can go do it on their own time.
DeleteWhen I hear that beautiful song at games or parades, I always tear up. My Dad fought in WWII...drove a sherman tank and it was a miracle he made it home. My 2 older brothers were in Viet Nam in the 60's. I watched my Mom age until thankfully they both made it home. It was the age of protests against that war but you would never find me there. Yes, we do have the right to protest but when I see sport figures overpaid, over hyped, over honored like they are some kind of super hero taking a knee I just want to spit. Just my opinion. Sorry, not sorry, if it offends.
ReplyDeleteTotally true. To be told they will fired on the spot if they took a knee, that made a difference.
DeleteI do stand and sing, and taught my children to do the same. My youngest daughter is an Army medic being trained as a nurse. Protest things the country does wrong, not the whole country, when it is your home.
ReplyDeleteIn a sports industry, where big money passes hands, it seems phony.
DeleteTake your pick...
ReplyDeleteGenuflection, the act of dropping to one knee as a sign of worship or respect
Taking the knee, a form of anti-racism protest which originated in U.S. national anthem protests (2016–present)
From one meaning to another, interesting.
Delete