blog Followers

Thursday, September 29, 2022

Importance of a Name




As I watched it once more, this time I paid attention to the monikers. Dude.  Colorado.  Feathers.  Stumpy.  Life had to be interesting if those were one names.

Ricky Nelson’s character ‘Colorado’ had no life skills.  Not really good with a gun, he was ‘the kid’ who wanted to be bigger than life, as ‘Sheriff John T. Chance’ was huge.   He chose the name ‘Colorado’. 
 
This set me to wonder what name I would chose given the fact that I am a 60+yr. old retired school teacher with some extra pounds.

How about these name choices.
 
Des Moines           Boise          Newark            Dubuque     or instead of cities,
Sourdough            Limburger   Cola or, how about,
Lancet                   Boil             Incontinent    Salivate

Silly, I know.  But, what made me think is that the character’s names established my perception of them.  Angie wouldn’t have come across well if her name was ‘Stumpy’, and Walter Brennan became ‘Dude’.  The character’s name is all important. 

Something to keep in mind in the crafting of a character in my writing.

Good quotes from a patriot

14 comments:

  1. I rather liked Des Moines. It sounds classy and a bit mysterious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Des Moines would be okay, but we lived near there when we were newly weds. It is a miserable place to live.

      Delete
  2. I loved that movie!!! IMHO, I wouldn't go with salivate. The only nickname I ever liked- and only my niece ever used it, was a chopping of my full name, Christopher, into 'Popper'. Not sure that would work in a movie, though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Salivate was a spur of the moment, and not a good choice.Popper is a great choice.

      Delete
  3. Not going to touch that one. I imagine the name is more given to you than chosen, though. Well, at least most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good point. My name would probably be Janitor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The problem is, you can't choose your own nickname. It has to be given to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't get a nickname, strangely so. My brothers were good at calling me all sorts of names.

      Delete
  6. I suspect my nickname might be something like marshmallow, because I am fat and a big softie. Rio Bravo is one of my favourite movies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might be Gerta, it sounds like it might be mine.

      Delete
  7. Particularly important when writing a novel to choose a good name for the hero.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, names like Herman are of the roster for good names.

      Delete
  8. I had a young teenaged nickname of Ice without Coke (and the friend who gave it to me called herself Coke without Ice). It was silly but we loved to hang out at a local soda fountain and drink Cokes and read comic books. My late mother in law loved John Wayne so; as for me, I'm still getting over Dean Martin singing with Ricky Nelson in a John Wayne western. Who would have thought? Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is what got me about this movie. Some strong actors here!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!