blog Followers

Friday, September 2, 2022

Life in the Great Outdoors


 

Legends of America

A country type blog I follow has the oddest stuff posted, odd and great. See what you think.  

 FDR's outhouse, used by George Washington

Clara’s Auntie May had come down to stay with Clara and her husband for a few days.

“Where’s your loo?” she inquired after she had downed three cups of tea.

“Thur ‘tis,” Clara told her, “down the garden.” Off went Auntie May, and when she came back she looked quite worried.

“Well, that is a dreadful place,” she cried, “and you got no lock on the door neither.”

“We don’t need no lock on thur,” Clara’s husband said, “we bin livin’ yer fer this thirty years and we ent never had a bucket of s*** stolen yet.”

Told by a neighbor to my aunt, and then to me.

Many stories could be told about outhouses. We think of them as purely a rural convenience. But that is not true, outhouses were the only facility available for use. Even the rich and famous were out there. Heck, the walkways along the street had interesting outhouses. Men were the usual occupants.

 A backcountry ski hut outhouse in the Talkeetna Mountains of Alaska. Snow still covers most the area in July.

So, there you have it. The world can claim their own type and style of outhouses. It all depends on money, time, and hard digging. Only then can it become elegant or at least stand up in a strong wind and storm.

Only Jefferson would think of this fancy outhouse. 

 Tomas Jefferson's design

We are so lucky.

Our own bit of heaven was not a piece of joy.

 

18 comments:

  1. I well remember outhouses. And don't miss them.
    One of the most picturesque I frequented sat on a hillside. Its door was a stained glass window rescued from a decommissioned church.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like a solid brick built outhouse, but getting to and from one in the depths of winter cold is no fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The race from back porch to the bricks would be bracing.

      Delete
  3. The brick outhouse would be tough to move to a new spot when full.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Something never considered in the brick mansion.

      Delete
  4. That's hilarious! Methinks my husband needs that leather-padded 'throne.'

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am just so grateful we have indoor plumbing now.
    And that double toilet is disturbing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the double was interesting enough to share it with bloggers. Just plain weird.

      Delete
  6. The outhouse is the only thing I hate more than doing dishes. Late night visits are awful. Hot summer afternoons add smells to the experience.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad I was born too late for those to be in wide usage where I'm at. I can barely stomach the port-a-potties smell when I'm forced to use one. I don't know how I would have done with outhouses.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmm. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

    ReplyDelete
  9. good entry. we had an indoor toilet after I was 5. Sherry and I loved in a house in NC with an outhouse. Our sons like to brag about it. LOL
    Enjoyed the read...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boys seem to really enjoy the outhouse adventures. Too many stories.

      Delete
  10. Which was worse, going to the outhouse in the winter or giving up and using the chamber pot indoors? That's not something i ever want to have to find out.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!