One who observes and thinks about what has been seen, what has passed by my way, what greater meaning lies behind and beneath life's small events.
blog Followers
Monday, May 17, 2021
Discovering new Hobbies
In the 1950s in rural areas, my hobbies were limited to whatever was on hand. Mom and my two grandmothers quilted and sewed. I discovered writing and how much I loved it. And, with a pencil and paper, I found out that I was pretty good at sketching.
Now, after being married for 3/4 of our time together, we have developed new, different hobbies. Stay with me, here!
We have taken up cursing. Nothing vulgar, mind you. Just some pretty common swear words.
First biggie, is damn or dammit. Standard swearing, I know, but there you have it.
Second is one that my saintly mom yelled out when something goes wrong. That would is, of course, shit or crap. While this is offensive, the farm wreaked of it and it was called "shit".
YouTube: George Carlin and his list of 7 awful words that
should or cannot be said on TV. I would not
ever say the obvious bad one, but he did
hit some of our words. This is about 5 min. long. Beginning
is funny.
Third is ass. Now, it is seen as a common word in most ways. But in the George Carlin world, he uses his voice and mimics how the word could be used, unwisely.
Fourth is bitch, with the understanding is this in not referring to a female dog. It is pretty common in the teen insults.
Fifth is its relative, bastard. I have long called my brothers "bastards" for good reason. They were cruel to me in many ways. So I will use that word proudly.
Sixth is whore. When I was in 5th grade, a boy told me to look it up. I looked up "hoar" which is not particularly bad.
Seventh could be piss off. We don't use this one yet. Time will tell.
Oh, there are more, but we are staying away from them. If you would like to be educated, go to this site: 35 words to avoid saying
We have not advanced or sunk down to Carlin's level, and will not. But the words are available if we descend into a pit of depravity.
Whatever gets you through. While both my parents knew the words (and in my father's case knew them in multiple languages) they very rarely used them. And we were never in any doubt if they were displeased.
Est-ce caca ou merde? I don't know, heard one repeatedly in childhood, the second on STAR TREK Next Gen. I taught my children to swear in English, but finally left it up to them.
Hysterical! I remember the first time my mother heard me use the 's' word. Never mind, I was 20-something; she sadly observed, "You weren't raised that way."
My mom used to say that no one curses like an Irishman. My grandmom came from Ireland and my mom learned a few from her, however, many were all in Gaelic. We would ask her what they meant, but she wouldn’t tell. One, though, we figured out. My dad never said anything worse than darn when he was mad or upset. I, myself, favor the s word. It is very satisfying.
I am at this moment hysterically laughing. the video is hilarious. my mother never said a curse word in her life of any kind. one time in mid 70's she called my brother a Jack Ass and we all nearly fainted, that was the only WORD she ever said. Daddy rarely cursed. Until the past 3 years my husband never said bad words except for shit/dam... but 3 years ago he had a stroke and his mouth spouts them all day long,in every sentence and because he does that i have started to say them if i am really angry and I don't want too. great post
I'm with Starting Over, I'm a 'S' word kind a guy. Sherry & jack Be safe (AND AND CAREFUL WHERE & WHEN!!!) Not nice for a teacher to use the S word in class!!!!
I just remembered something from my childhood. Daddy was fond of saying, "Son of a biscuit!" -- and I'd be puzzled why something so good as a biscuit could make him mad.
I was not allowed to swear while I was growing up. I now have a bit of a potty mouth but not bad compared to many. I did not allow my children to swear either. For some reason that didn't stop them. The real shocker here is that my mother didn't ever say 'hell' or 'damn' or any bad words. Then one day when my kids were grown we were all shocked when the word 'shit' came out of her mouth. It was a culture shock.
Sometimes you just need to let an F-bomb loose. Have you seen The History of Swear Words? It's on Netflix. Pretty funny. But each word featured is said so many times, if one doesn't like the word, best not to watch that episode.
When I was in grad school, I taught a group of freshmen students three times a week. One student went to my "boss," one of the faculty who critiqued our performances. The student said I used the word "SHIT" in one of my lessons. I was taken back, but admitted I didn't think I used that specific word, but have been known to use the word "SHITTY," when I felt something deserved it. I also was surprised that a freshman in college could be so offended that s/he never heard it before. I tried to eliminate the word from my language, then my friend got a cat that was a terror. I kept saying "You little shit." That's when he named his cat Little Shit. It's the only foul word I know, and it sounds so much more fun than saying "You little feces." Enjoyed the Carlin piece and laughed all the way through your tirade today.
Whatever gets you through.
ReplyDeleteWhile both my parents knew the words (and in my father's case knew them in multiple languages) they very rarely used them. And we were never in any doubt if they were displeased.
Sometimes parents can get around swearing, if it is in a different language.
DeleteWhat do you mean, 'sunk down to Carlin's level?' That would mean you're brilliant!
ReplyDeleteOh, I'll take that as a compliment.
DeleteEst-ce caca ou merde? I don't know, heard one repeatedly in childhood, the second on STAR TREK Next Gen. I taught my children to swear in English, but finally left it up to them.
ReplyDeleteI could incorporate that into my list. Yes, it work well.
DeleteYou could always use the Battlestar Galactica word, frack.
ReplyDeleteFrack. of course. I didn't think of how prolifically that word was used a lot on the show. Go, Starbuck!
DeleteHysterical! I remember the first time my mother heard me use the 's' word. Never mind, I was 20-something; she sadly observed, "You weren't raised that way."
ReplyDeleteThat is funny! You (and I) were not raised that way, except that one s-word.
DeleteMy mom used to say that no one curses like an Irishman. My grandmom came from Ireland and my mom learned a few from her, however, many were all in Gaelic. We would ask her what they meant, but she wouldn’t tell. One, though, we figured out. My dad never said anything worse than darn when he was mad or upset. I, myself, favor the s word. It is very satisfying.
ReplyDeleteOf course it is satisfying, use it a lot, but also use crap more.
DeleteI am at this moment hysterically laughing. the video is hilarious. my mother never said a curse word in her life of any kind. one time in mid 70's she called my brother a Jack Ass and we all nearly fainted, that was the only WORD she ever said. Daddy rarely cursed. Until the past 3 years my husband never said bad words except for shit/dam... but 3 years ago he had a stroke and his mouth spouts them all day long,in every sentence and because he does that i have started to say them if i am really angry and I don't want too. great post
ReplyDeleteSorry about your husband. I wonder why that was so.
DeleteThat it made you laugh so much, makes me happy. Thanks!
I'm with Starting Over, I'm a 'S' word kind a guy.
ReplyDeleteSherry & jack
Be safe (AND AND CAREFUL WHERE & WHEN!!!) Not nice for a teacher to use the S word in class!!!!
No, as a teacher, the worst that ever slipped from my lips was 'dang'. Just that once, but I remember it well.
DeleteI just remembered something from my childhood. Daddy was fond of saying, "Son of a biscuit!" -- and I'd be puzzled why something so good as a biscuit could make him mad.
ReplyDeleteExcellent.
DeleteI thought the video was his original bit about the seven words. It's not! It's a greatly expanded list! Nice.
ReplyDeleteNow I am curious.
DeleteIt's a proven fact that swearing makes you feel better!
ReplyDeleteI will cut loose a string of swearing and see if that lifts the spirits.
DeleteI was not allowed to swear while I was growing up. I now have a bit of a potty mouth but not bad compared to many. I did not allow my children to swear either. For some reason that didn't stop them. The real shocker here is that my mother didn't ever say 'hell' or 'damn' or any bad words. Then one day when my kids were grown we were all shocked when the word 'shit' came out of her mouth. It was a culture shock.
ReplyDeleteThat is too good.
DeleteSometimes you just need to let an F-bomb loose. Have you seen The History of Swear Words? It's on Netflix. Pretty funny. But each word featured is said so many times, if one doesn't like the word, best not to watch that episode.
ReplyDeleteI will have to think about that.
DeleteOh, fiddle!
ReplyDeleteHaven't heard that one for a long time.
DeleteI try not to swear and mostly succeed, but I have moments when I even think in swear words.
ReplyDeleteSo do I! And now they are emerging.
DeleteWhen I was in grad school, I taught a group of freshmen students three times a week. One student went to my "boss," one of the faculty who critiqued our performances. The student said I used the word "SHIT" in one of my lessons. I was taken back, but admitted I didn't think I used that specific word, but have been known to use the word "SHITTY," when I felt something deserved it. I also was surprised that a freshman in college could be so offended that s/he never heard it before. I tried to eliminate the word from my language, then my friend got a cat that was a terror. I kept saying "You little shit." That's when he named his cat Little Shit. It's the only foul word I know, and it sounds so much more fun than saying "You little feces." Enjoyed the Carlin piece and laughed all the way through your tirade today.
ReplyDeleteWhat a story. I would not have used any of my list in my 3rd graders.
DeleteI am so trying to erase those words.
ReplyDeleteI know, I know.
DeleteAlong with most of the 35. Did not know the F-word was an anagram, though in use it would hardly matter...
DeleteFor Unlawful Carnal Knowledge, it cracks me everytime.
DeleteGeorge Carlin was so funny. I loved him.
ReplyDeleteI was saddened when he died. Talented guy, timeless humor.
DeleteI only swear when I hit my finger with a hammer, or stub my toe against something, or step on a Lego brick, or sit on a hedgehog or ...
ReplyDeleteGod bless.
So, you confine your cuss words to pain.
DeleteI try not to swear and mostly succeed ...
ReplyDeleteAll the best Jan