Who are these leaders in what was the beginning of classics we find ourselves humming and/or mouthing the words? They may not have been Inductees, but that was the era of gems that shaped future performers. That was the 60s.
Peter Frampton
Los Lobos, Tom Jones, The Four Seasons – “Sherry”
Johnny Rivers, Three Dog Night, Stevie Wonder – “Uptight (Everything’s Alright)”, Johnny Winter
Steve Winwood, Donovan – “Catch The Wind", Harry Nilsson, John Mayall
Steppenwolf, The Rolling Stones – “Sympathy for the Devil”
The list not chosen includes artists that I enjoyed, but the list could go on a long stretch of road.
Why did I not put The Beatles up in the list? Now this is something that may cause gasps or disapproval:
I really do not like the Beatles.
In 1964, the Ed Sullivan brought them to national fame. I was 7th gr. and all the farm girls were giggly. They all "claimed" Paul (he wasn't married). I preferred George. He seemed more intelligent.
But after all the hullabaloo, I started listening to them and the lyrics. A few songs I liked, but there were only a few. (They didn't have the depth of soul, like Simon and Garfunkel or Lou Rawls.)
So many good songs from those performers. But Sounds of Silence will always rank as one of my favorite.
ReplyDeleteThat and Bridge Over Troubled Waters are tremendous.
DeleteI was (and am) a big Simon and Garfunkel fan. My husband was (and is) a big Steppenwolf fan. So many good groups. I would also add The Zombies to the list, although I realize they were inducted a couple of years ago. I wasn't as giggly as my friends over the Beatles but you "just had to" have a favorite. I did like them a lot. I also remember reading a couple of the teen aged fan magazines - Tiger Beat comes to mind.
ReplyDeleteThe Zombies produced the good songs. I liked "She's not there".
DeleteIf you grew up in that time, some may consider you "old" but you got to see all the cool bands.
ReplyDelete"Cool music, cool cars, cool clothes" Oh, our good old days.
DeleteI also preferred George while not being a big Beatles fan. I like about a dozen of their songs and a couple from Paul McCartney and Wings, mostly from the Wings across America tour. I never knew Steppenwolf or several of the others you've mentioned, we had different artists getting airplay here, Australians artists and English, more than American.
ReplyDeleteI imagine that is true. When we discover your songs, it is like a treat.
DeleteFunny how music choices are the generational. I'm still stuck in the early to mid 50's music. I remember like must guys, the music I smooched to. LOL
ReplyDeleteI likes some of the Beetles, but Lou R. was the best even if he did kick me out of my standby seat when he showed up late for the flight once. LOL.
He kicked you out! Wow.
DeleteMusic from the 50s were such a step away from the war 1940 music.
I listened to the Beatles at the times but not anymore. And I don't particularly like groups as I do individual songs. There are some groups that I think have one good song and that it!
ReplyDeleteMy favorite group is Credence Clear Revival/John Fogerty.
DeleteThe one-time wonders had such a brief time.
Such sweet music! I was definitely born in the wrong era. Music changes in strange ways across ages. I can't relate much with quite a bit of the recent stuff. And the old ones are like time travel.
ReplyDeleteWish you a great weekend ahead!
Oldies reflect a different moral direction.
DeleteRight above your post on my read list was one announcing BJ Thomas's death.From my #1 this week: "Life goes on... you never know... that's the hardest part about letting you go..."
ReplyDeleteI was impressed how many songs for our era were his! They were ones we sang along with him.
Delete60's music rocked! Then, too, the 70's. Sad to say (IMHO) it's been downhill since. (Suppose our parents thought the same thing? Ha.)
ReplyDeleteGeorge was my fav Beatle, too. Broke my heart when he passed.
He was great in his writings. He did pass too soon, but chain smoking can do that.
DeleteI don't know that I've ever met someone who didn't like the Beatles before! Wow!
ReplyDeleteIt has taken me decades to admit that.
DeleteHere's another one, maybe because I was older then, who is not crazy about the Beatles. I liked Yesterday. Now I figure it must have played when I was having something going on with some, by now, long forgotten guy.
ReplyDeleteYesterday was one of their best.
DeleteI was born in 1970 so I didn't listen to most of these songs.
ReplyDeleteIt is not too late to start.
DeleteYou have obviously put a lot of thought into your music. I love music. Any kind. I have at times been dismayed at the omissions for the Hall Of Fame. I loved the simplicity of most of the Beatles songs. As they used to say on American Bandstand they were easy to dance to.
ReplyDeleteI can see the rhythm and chords being easy.
DeleteIt's interesting when it's time for the new inductees. Who gets voted in versus who doesn't is fascinating.
ReplyDeleteIt amazes me the names and groups. Talented.
DeleteI've been listening to Steve Winwood and 3 Dog Night for the past several days. I'm not a big Beatles fan, but I like "In My Life." Not one of the biggest hits.
ReplyDeleteSteve Winwood is one of the most versatile musicians.
Delete