| From Elephant's Child |
The bus tour gave them 45 minutes to roam about this park in the middle of Canberra called “Garema” Place.
“Hell, Esther, if I’da wanted to look at weird metal sheep sitting on a bench, I’da made one at home,” Billy Jim stood with his big belly balanced by hands on hips. “Mighty dumb, if ya ask me.”
‘Glad I didn’t ask.’ Esther Sue mentally responded. She came to a lonely plaque on the sidewalk. As she read it silently, a tear slid down her cheek. ‘Well, at least you rejoiced when it came, Linette Bone.’
Billy Jim hollered, “Time to git back on the bus. Git on over here, woman!”
Esther sighed, looking one last time at the plaque. ‘Hope you were loved, ….’ Then she joined Billy on the bus.
This was a photo prompt from May 2012. Its story, told in those very few words, touched me deeply.
Here are some other art displays at Garema Place in Canberra, Australia:
This was a photo prompt from May 2012. Its story, told in those very few words, touched me deeply.
Here are some other art displays at Garema Place in Canberra, Australia:
| Source: mattewharding.com |
| Source: Hannah....you must visit this site. |
This is a re-post from October 2012, a PhotoPrompt provided by Elephant's Child. My Switzerland family (daughter Mary and 6 year old grandson Benjamin.) are still here. Will be leaving tomorrow. It has been a wonderful time.
A beautiful poem!
ReplyDeleteIsn't it? Paints such a picture.
DeleteWhat a place to have a baby.
ReplyDeleteI hate to think about that.
DeleteI remember this piece of yours. Loved it, then and now. Each time I go to Garema Place I stop to read that placque.
ReplyDeleteEnjoy your family time.
Just returned from playing mini-golf with gr-son. They leave tomorrow and we will miss them!
DeleteGlad you remembered this one. It is special.
Hi Susan - what a lovely post ... so sad, so true ... but good for creating stories. A tale told in a few poetic words ... I can quite see why EC stops to read the plaque ... as for the metal sheep, or the bellied (unfair/ unthoughtful) man - enough implied. Cheers Hilary
ReplyDeleteE.C. finds such interesting places.
DeleteSo much emotion and such a picture in my mind all from just a few lovely words. And I like the metal sheep.
ReplyDeleteOh yes. Billy Bob is such a jerk. Poor Esther Sue.
DeleteSome people just can't appreciate the idiosyncrasies and small histories around us.
ReplyDeleteArlee Bird
Tossing It Out
Those are the things I cherish.
DeleteOne sight and few words can sure spur on much, for some people at least.
ReplyDeleteShe had the power to see the precious event in those few words.
DeletePS: While there are sheep close to that placque the ones you pictured come from my side of town, outside another shopping centre.
ReplyDeleteFor some reason, those couldn't be loaded. Would love to walk around that place!
DeleteThat's a place i would love to see.
ReplyDeleteSame here.
DeleteA touching true story and then there's Esther Sue getting back on the bus.....
ReplyDeleteA little bit of joy and then back on the bus. Poor lady.
DeleteDear Susan, your posting is filled with poignancy both for what the man misses and the woman feels and sees. I find myself always astounded when I visit Sue's blog--Elephant's Child. Australia seems to be devoted to museums and art and sculpture and gardens. And she visits so many of them. Peace.
ReplyDeleteE.C. has a creative photographer's eye. Her site is always exquisite.
DeleteI hope you're having a great time with your family.
ReplyDeleteJust took them to LAX. I will miss them, but am glad to have a quieter house and less time demands.
DeleteEnjoy the beauty of life, its what the world has to offer and it may never come again, shared moments are fun.
ReplyDeleteVery profound, "it may never come again".
Delete