blog Followers

Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Snow White: Can she really sing? Yes. Yes, she can.

An illustration from page 17 of Mjallhvít (Snow White) from an 1852 icelandic translation of the Grimm-version fairytale.
From Iceland in mid-1800s translation
When Walt Disney took a chance by creating and producing "Snow White" as a full-length animated movie, it was a true leap of faith. Fortunately for him, "Snow White" was successful and this sweet version has continued to be so.


Ever Sweet

But, this was the purged, cleaned-up, sanitized Snow White.  Brothers Grimm collected many tales, all brutal. Snow White, in her many guises, dates back to mid-1500s. The Grimms wrote much about her, publishing these in 1853 (?). 

I submitted my own version of "Snow White" for a competition for "Sisters Grimm", an anthology of tales. All of the anthology is written by female authors and will be published as a Ubook. This should be released around Halloween this year.

My submission, "Dark and Light, Black and White", was not accepted (Oh, well). It is a tale of darkness and evil, where Snow White has to be more than a pretty girl singing in the glades.

In the coming two weeks, I'll be posting this in four chapters. I sure hope that you'll stick with the chapters, as some are gruesome in the battle of good versus evil.

Snow White "kicks butt", as recent generations say.

Chapter one: Dark and Light, Black Soul and White Heart, Oct. 17

Chapter two: Dark and Light, Where Lies the Night, Oct. 19

Chapter three: Dark and Light, Finally the Night, Oct. 24

Chapter four: Dark and Light, Gone the Night, Oct. 31



27 comments:

  1. Looking forward to reading those:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My version is dark with Snow drawing on more than she would have normally.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like an appropriate story to post in October, the month of Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry you didn't make the cut but look forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My submission was way too long. It was liked but it had too many words.

      Delete
  4. We need more Snow Whites to kick back. The world is a dark place and princes are hard to come across these days (or ever). I look forward to reading about the other side of fairy tales.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snow White has some mad skills in this version.

      Delete
  5. When I was in high school, the European history teacher did a unit on fairy tales. I did not take the class, but it got around how brutal all those stories were in the original.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The truth will out when it comes to fairy tales.

      Delete
  6. The real tales sure wouldn't pass for Disney. Should be fun when you give the chapters a run.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The original stories were very gruesome, and i know yours will be quite inventive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boy, these tales must have scared children. Reality was harsher then.

      Delete
  8. Bummer that it got declined. I hope you'll resubmit elsewhere, even after you publish here. :) Looking forward to reading your writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! Kinda nervous, as this writing genre is so different from me, but not.
      I am a nerd.

      Delete
  9. I guess a dark Snow White has its place, but I am partial to the Disney style story. But I can get into anything done well whether it be dark or light.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snow White faces down evil. I hope you can see this as well done.

      Delete
  10. Brothers Grimm used to scare me as a child. H.C. Andersen too. Thinking back, my generation grew up with some pretty gruesome tales. Don't think it did us any harm, but still. I am looking forward to reading your tales.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In fairy tales, good and evil were always at battle. Sometimes one won and sometimes the other did. I promise that good will win. Spoiler alert.

      Delete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!