
Before the
gate has been closed,
Before the last question is posed,
Before I am
transposed.
Before the weeds fill the gardens,
Before there
are no pardons,
Before the concrete is hardened,
Before all
the flute-holes are covered,
Before all things are locked in
cupboards,
Before the
rules are discovered.
Before the conclusion is planned,
Before God
closes His Hand,
Before we have nowhere to stand.
Written by
Yehuda Amichai
Translated
by Chana Bloch and Stephen Mitchell
1924-2000
Wonderful! A great read. Thank you for sharing this. x
ReplyDeleteThat was beautiful
ReplyDeleteOften the "before" is more solid and enjoyable.
ReplyDeleteOoooo. That last line... says it all.
ReplyDeleteExcellent choice! Happy "B" Day!
ReplyDeleteWow, that was really powerful.
ReplyDeleteGet it all in before as you won't after
ReplyDeleteWow!!! I really really really like this. Great "B" post.
ReplyDeleteA most excellent choice for the day!
ReplyDeleteI like Before The Rules Are Discovered. I can work with that!
ReplyDeleteI agree with Stephen Tremp. This is an amazing poem.
ReplyDeleteThe eloquence in this poem is very impressive.
ReplyDeletePowerful words. Thanks for sharing this!!
ReplyDeleteYes, very thoughtful, loved the ending especially.
ReplyDeleteI had not seen this before. I really like it! I think I might print it out and share with others!
ReplyDeletebetty
To all commentors: When I read this, the words were so profound and meaningful. Yehuda Amichai was the poet laureate (if one poet is called such) in Israel. It thrills me that other bloggers recognize how filled with impact this is. :-)
ReplyDeleteB is also for "Beautiful" -- which this poem is! Thank you for sharing it with us!
ReplyDeleteA really powerful before which transcends all the afters...
ReplyDeleteSomething always precedes. Well said, Yehuda. :)
ReplyDeleteGood thought - but what is before? Love the picture of Winnie. Didn't notice it before.
ReplyDeleteI better do things now, before......
ReplyDeleteLovely. I especially like the line about the flute holes.
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing that! Loved it. "Before the gate has been closed"...We just talked about Jesus with our youth group as "the gate", so this speaks to me.
ReplyDeleteA most excellent B post
ReplyDeleteVery nice, gets you thinking.
ReplyDeleteBefore all that happens, we'd better get on with some living.
ReplyDelete