![]() |
| The tree is very green, but my editing skills somehow added a yellow tinge. Oh, well. |
To call the tree "old" would
be inadequate. Seemingly, the pine had
survived decades and had been old even when Jenny was of age to notice it. Mama,
is that tree old?...Yes, it is old….How
old?...It has been here since I was your age.
Locals knew it had been struck by lightening, suffering fire, but the rain left it to sizzle.
Fifty-five years later,
Jenny returned to the tree and finally climbed up the shallow drainage ditch to
stand it the tree’s trunk, looking up into its branches reaching to the sun.
How old are you,
tree? She wondered.
Old, it answered.
Old, it answered.
S![]() |
County Hwy 7, Pike County, Nebo-Pittsfield road, Illinois Long.-90.781594 Lat. 39.41907 Not entirely accurate I would not bet the family farm on this . |
***This is its Google Map 3D Location:



Ooooh...gave me chills.
ReplyDeleteThere is no other tree like this one in the area. I wish I knew what kind of fir tree it is.
DeleteI bet you could still climb it, just use a ladder lol
ReplyDeleteIf there were a ladder and some safety harness, then maybe I would give it a shot.
DeleteI love this. If trees could tell stories, just think of the stories that they'd tell...
ReplyDelete...and this tree has seen a world of changes.
DeleteTrees live so long. They don't actually die, either. Something has to actually kill it.
ReplyDeleteSo far, so good. I hope to travel back its way someday.
DeleteWhat a gorgeous post! Thanks for sharing :)
ReplyDeleteSarah Allen
(Writing Blog)
So glad you enjoyed it!
DeleteThe stories a tree could tell
ReplyDeleteThis one has towered over the valley for so long, and I would say that it has seen many changes.
DeleteI know exactly how you feel about that tree. She is part of your life, she is important, she must always be there, and please God, keep her safe.
ReplyDeleteI will ask my brother to drive down and check on her. I hope it has survived another year.
DeleteIt's a beautiful, beautiful tree. It's still there, right?
ReplyDeleteI love trees, but those that have survived many decades are extra special.
I would love to know how old it is.
DeleteTrees. So evocative. Always make me think, and dream. How can anyone just pass them by? A lovely post. x
ReplyDeleteWe are both Tree-people, then. A tree like this must surely stop other people, like myself.
DeleteOld is good, especially when it comes to trees. They certainly can be majestic. We've got quite a few huge, old trees on our land and I love them so. :)
ReplyDeleteOur first visit to Sequoia Nat'l Park left us speechless.
DeleteMaybe one of you writers could write the history of a tree.
ReplyDeleteNow that would be interesting, but very exacting and exhausting.
DeleteThe wisdom to be told by the tree. Yes, well thought out, dear Susan. A treemendous post that could easily branch out into all sorts of possibilities. I Pine for such stories.
ReplyDeleteThank you for this and yes, it really is me, Penny's alleged human, Gary :)
You're BACK! Hurray!! Good plays on the words, Gary.
DeleteIt would be an interesting group of stories, kinda like James Michelin and The Source.