| Source: Public Domain |
Queen Anne’s
Lace
By Mary Leslie
Newton
Queen Anne, Queen Anne, has washed her lace
(She chose a summer day)
And hung it in a grassy place
To whiten, if it may.
Queen Anne, Queen Anne, has left it there,
And slept the dewy night;
Then waked, to find the sunshine fair,
And all the meadows white.
Queen Anne, Queen Anne, is dead and gone
(She died a summer’s day),
But left her lace to whiten on
Each weed-entangled way.
| Poor Queen Anne--you should access the above Wikipedia site and read about her. It is really sad, tragic even. |
Nicely done
ReplyDeleteUnder your sun
As such a lace
You embrace
The lacy days of summer
ReplyDeletehave Queen Anne's work
on display.
Blessings and Bear hugs!
Bears Noting
Life in the Urban Forest (poetry)
I think it took Edward VIII's abdication for Britons to realize that even though they love their monarchs they don't actually need them.
ReplyDeletePS--trigger finger down here, lovely rhyme.
ReplyDeleteNone of the monarchs lead a life I envy - even those who don't come to a premature and unpleasant end.
ReplyDeleteI love Queen Anne's lace though - thank you. A beautiful AND thought-provoking post.
I've heard so much of Queen Anne. Definitely going to read up about her now. Thanks for the link. :-)
ReplyDeleteI love Queen Anne's lace. Such a pretty wild flower.
ReplyDeletetm
This reminds me of a Swedish meadow, full of lace. I have a picture of it, but it is not needed to remind me of its beauty.
ReplyDeleteone of my favorite wild flowers, and what a haunting poem
ReplyDeleteThanks to all. I am in a WiFi wasteland, so can read comments infrequently. Still on vacation!
ReplyDelete