
With many rehearsals writing her name and
answering basic questions regarding this business,
Idaho’s Best Potato!, Linda felt this interview would go well, just might go
well.
Linda had had so many horrible experiences. Although
she was intelligent and vocal, letters swam before her, making it impossible to
read, let alone write.
This interview was significant. Past failures had narrowed her horizons to the point that no
light could shine through. This has to…has
to...
Her entrance into the reception area was anything but
confident, but she smiled at the mature woman behind the desk. Then she looked where she had to write her name on the sign in she must conquer.
Taking a deep breath, Linda wrote slowly and
carefully, just as she and Lisa had rehearsed.
Loop…point up…dot…
The mature woman stood and shook Linda’s hand, “Wonderful!
You have the job!”
Tears ran down Linda’s cheeks as the woman handed her
tissues.
She whispered in Linda’s
ear. “The letters dance in front of me,
too.”
My Irish twin brother had dyslexia, although in the 50s there wasn't a name to describe his struggles. I was the smart one, I could handle any challenge.
He was held back, so I ended up being in the same classroom. He was teased by the other students and the teacher was mean, mean to all the students who were "slow".
Looking back at that time, I realize that I was mean, as well. Why aren't like your sister.
I remember that Mom asked me how I did so well in math. I said that I checked the sums by checking and working on the numbers. Being 7, I had no idea why her eyes glittered so and she sighed so heavily.
Later in his life he had worked it out himself. I noticed that he was reading books by Louis L'Amour, My mom smiled and told me with pride how much he enjoyed those books.

So many smart, successful people I've known have overcome disabilities like dyslexia, Susan. Isn't it sad that it took so long for it to be diagnosed and treated successfully. Thanks for sharing this story here.
ReplyDeleteWe grew up in a rural area with small towns, schools, and most of all small minded people. They could be cruet and mean.
DeleteThey thought that mocking him would be the impetus he needed to figure it out. We now know that the mocking only makes it worse. We've learned some lessons over the years.
ReplyDeleteBelittling a person is destroying him. I think at WW2 time many teachers took tests to determine if they possessed basic grasp of what a child needed. The shortage of male teachers were evident, so many women were not easy teachers.
DeleteLooking at the teachers I had in 1950s were mostly like that. The good ones still wanted more for their students.
That sounds like severe dyslexia. There seem to be varying degrees. Because children could not understand what was on the page in front of them they were labeled as slow if people were kind. Unfortunately they still are.
ReplyDeleteI agree, Robert had severe eyesight, congenital from birth. He wore thick glass lenses, which made him a target for most kids in a small farming community. It was a part of their role models.
DeleteIt’s heartbreaking how people treat each other.
ReplyDeleteMany parents of our community saw the teacher as the be all and end all of education. They had tremendous power. As I grew up and moved away from the rural atmosphere my parents saw things differently.
DeleteI know dyslexia is quite common but personally I don't know a single person who is dyslexic. I am glad someone eventually figured it out and now dyslexics can get the help they need.
ReplyDeleteWhen it was finally recognized, it was surprising the # of people who had been affected.
Delete