blog Followers

Monday, March 23, 2026

Family Patriarchs are not saints.

 

 

Incredibly, family patriarch and provider of his large clan Martin Van Buren Shive spoke, said, and did every blessed thing the stories passed down insisted.

The bastard was a spiteful old sinner…cranky does not begin to describe his temper…words that son of a bitch could say…his wife would weep at the vile vernacular when Martin exploded in one of his rages…

  


Many more true tales hovered about.  Subsequently, at Martin Van Buren Shive interrment, over six hundred town residents gathered around the grave to hear final words from the Baptist preacher.
 
Then, one by one, each passed by the mound of dirt, either to toss black dirt or to spit on it.  Some spoke words in their own vernacular, expressing heart-felt wishes.  One frequently used phrases were “May you rot in hell" or "Thank you for all you did for our country" or....
   .

My great-great-great Grandfather was Martin Van Buren Shive. The Christian name is a family name, why I don't know.

 Apparently my description of this patriarch of the family is accurate according to my aunt who told all sorts of random stories. She also said that he was one mean sonofabitch. 

To give him some praise is that he fought in the battle of Bull Run , Shiloh, and more battles during the Civil War . He eventually was injured in the leg, sent home to Illinois. He lived in constant pain, which might have contributed to his personality, or if he was always a sonofabitch.

600 people did not show up  to his funeral.  More like 50. 

 

We do not know if the community hated his guts or if they actually treated him with the respect a Civil War veteran deserves. His children (my gr-gr-grandfather)said he was a mean old so and so. Whatever.

 The Wed. Words above were provided by River back in 2016. . The underlined and italicized words are the gems. This writing challenge was created by Delores, who has since passed the baton to others.  Check back with River.

16 comments:

  1. I am sure there are many who were like this. They make for way more interesting stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Men coming home from war with its horror were not the same men who left to go to war. A darkness settled over my dad periodically and it was a difficult house to keep hold of your own goals.

      Delete
  2. I was reading your labels and wishing I had done that to my blog, it took years before I started and then I only did one label...
    I have known a few mean SOB Baptist preachers. My dad was not mean but he was ultra strict. I lived on the campus of Clear Creek Baptist Preachers School. now changed school to college. there were many mean ones and when we moved 120 miles away after daddy graduated, my 8th grade teacher was a mean, hateful, spiteful, SOB and my class got to watch my friend, Joyce Dad hold a shot gun on him and threaten to kill him if he ever beat Joyce again. back in 1956. In Ky in that year it was like 1886 in time. The teacher/pastor used a 4 inch wide fan belt on anyone he chose to... this all means I knew men like your ancestor. Daddy's grandfather fought in Shiloh, but for the Rebel side. Back in the time your ancestor was alive there were more mean men who thought women were there slaves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started blogging in 2010 and have really enjoyed the writing and the people. Shot gun? wow. Not today! Growing up on a farm meant that we did what we were told. I think that too many liberties were taken with corporal punishment in schools. I was never on the receiving line, but my brothers were.
      Life varies from era to era. We were the baby boomers; I don't know what Mom's era was called. She was born in1928, died in 2011. The abuse of women through the ages has been incredible and seen as the normal role of women. It is infuriating to read this in history.

      Delete
  3. No patriarchs are saints, Susan. However, we can still learn and grow from the mistakes they made. I started blogging in 2010, too, and started out with daily devotions. I know I couldn't keep up that pace now. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 16 years goes by so quickly. A father who makes his children so miserable needs to improve parenting skills.

      Delete
  4. It takes all kinds to make a world, I guess, but some we might could do without.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. .Very true. Men like Martin were unpleasant and mean,

      Delete
  5. Well as messymimi said "It takes all kinds to make a world".

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It truly does take all kinds to make a world. This doesn't mean that all the men are good solid citizens.

      Delete
  6. Sometimes, the patriarch still has feet of clay. Some deal with it by trying harder, some by pushing away. Laurie could give you chaper and verse on the second type.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said. A lot of seriously injured veterans came home from the Civil War with no home left. Anger is probably.

      Delete
  7. Whether patriarch or us We all are humans after all
    I always love reading your writings dear Susan
    It’s very entertaining and enjoyable ♥️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to see your name! Thanks for your comments.

      Delete
  8. My father was the patriarch of our family. He was close to being a saint. So not all patriarchs are mean old bastards either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not all patriarchs are like Gr-gr--gr-grandpa Martin. Now that we are the oldest of my husband's siblings we are considered to be the matriarch and patriarch of the Kane group.

      Delete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!