Gray still sky over
Roiling silver sea
Soaking gold to slate
Slabs of sand.
Satin rocks, ancient
rocks
Worn and beaten
Smooth by
Merciless waves.
My brother is dying.
Her whispers cast
To deaf waters.
Salt to salt,
Whispered over and
over.
Three speckled rocks
Chosen by grace.
One rock resting
in a noisy room,
Whispering silently
My brother is dying...
One rock for bedside
Where whispers and
tears merged.
One rock more--
At last, gazing at my
Blessed brother, eyes closed,
In steel gray casket.
Tucking a smooth
Ocean stone into icy hand.
My brother has died.
Tears to tears,
Sea to earth,
Cold hand to warm,
Words silenced,
Whispers lie heavy
in the heart.
in the heart.
This was written shortly before Robert died. I often found myself sitting by the computer when it was dark and tried to compose something that would have meaning for others.
Robert and I were born in 1951, he in January and me in December. He was diagnosed with a incurable brain tumor in 1995. So hard to think about even now. Stacking of rocks is symbolic of many things...mourning...remembrance... a message...religion...love.
I know you are still grieving and I grieve with you, it’s a hard loss. My brother died of Covid a few years ago. You’re in my prayers for comfort.
ReplyDeleteMonths or years go by, yet I still see his face and mourn.
DeleteThe poem is beautiful and it does mean something to all who have lost a brother. My heart hurts for your hurting heart
ReplyDeleteHurting heart is a great way to express the loss.
DeleteAfter watching my mother lose the battle, I can that pain in your words...
ReplyDeleteI am sorry to hear about your mother's passing.
DeleteIt is very hard to express the feelings of very hard times in this life. But you done well.
ReplyDeleteLove from over this way!
Loss of this brother was an incredibly hard to express.
DeleteYour words embody the essence of grief and loss, Susan. Your tears shimmered on the page. May God be with you always.
ReplyDeleteHe is always with me. God has given me grace under fire like this.
DeleteThis is so poignant, so of the heart and soul. That pain of loss comes through every word. I feel honored that you would share it with us.
ReplyDeleteI am never sure that I should publish something like this.
DeleteI am so sorry for your loss.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Liz.
DeleteYour poem made me cry. I have only one brother (there is another adopted away at birth that I have never met) and hope he lives for many more years yet. We are in our 70s. The youngest brother died many years ago aged 20, fell asleep on his motorbike while near home after a very long interstate ride.
ReplyDeleteMy remaining brother lives in Springfield, IL and my sister is in Ohio. Don is 78, I am 73 and Mary is 68. Robert died in '97 and then Bill died in '99/ Living in CA makes it hard to see my family.
DeleteIt is so hard to honor someone we love. You were Irish twins and that makes it even harder. I was born one year my brother was born the following year and my second brother was born the next year. Are we Irish triplets? Anyway I remember them on their birthdays with great fondness.
ReplyDeleteMy goodness. Your mom was busy. You get the Irish twin/triplet award!
DeleteI am so very sorry for your loss.
ReplyDelete