![]() |
| Future Queen of Queens |
People contemplate Switzerland and immediately envision snow, mountains, cheese fondue, watches, chocolate and lots of other stuff, just like every other country. But, one is discounting a key factor in Switzerland's economy:
Bovines
Perhaps one of the strangest festivals involving cows is Annual Cow Fighting,
beginning in March, lasting through September. Cows will spend the
summer roaming and eating in the pastures, making delightful creamy milk
that turns into magical cheese. So they have some time to fight.
All cows are naturally bossy and territorial, loving a good cow fight.
Locking formidable horns, wrestling around a bit, until the loser gives
up. Being muscular and easily riled, this breed appears like it could
rip guts out.
Mooing
loudly and apparently scary, the battle is mostly
push and shove. When one feels like she won this event, they both walk
off the field, apparently to do something involving grazing.
From March to September, battles are held all around Switzerland, attracting tens of thousands of spectators. the final tournament will result the crowning of the Queen of Queens. The prize is one of those humongous ornate cowbell. Then any offspring will be sold for a big hefty price at an auction.(Big prize!)
YouTube, cows are paraded through town, showing their

This is such a unique tradition, Susan, and one I'd never even known about until now. Wow! Thanks for sharing here today.
ReplyDeleteGlad to oblige. I did not know that cows would battle.
DeleteI have seen raccoons battle and bears and elk and other animals but never cows. In fact this is the first time I have heard of it... I rather go to a pet the cows event if they have those.. I have kissed a few cows in my life and might not have if I knew about the battles
ReplyDeleteother animals battling, yes. Cows? not at all. We never go to Switzerland to see cows. But I will check with my daughter to see what season this battle would happen/
DeleteI enjoy watching cows actually frolicking in the pasture. They leap and cavort just like a dog does. They even get the zoomies. They are fun to watch.
ReplyDeleteWe once drove by two or three large fields of young bulls. It was a ranch and it was impressive. The bulls played just like teen age boys would.
DeleteOh my. What people do for entertainment.
ReplyDeleteGrowing up in a farm community, small towns often have weird games.
DeleteI visited long ago and didn't hear about this. Being somewhat squeamish about fighting, I might not enjoy it anyway.
ReplyDeleteI think it has become a major tourist event.
Delete"Who wouldn't"? Me. I don't like the idea of fighting, not for any animals. I do wonder if the constant noise from those heavy bells is irritating to the cows? They begin with much smaller bells as heifers then graduate up the scale to full sized ones so maybe they just get used to it. I have a small heifer sized bell here, given to me by a neighbour but I haven't hung it anywhere yet, haven't found the "right" place.
ReplyDeleteIn Switzerland, cows wear the bells to help keep track of the livestock. And I think there is a way of identifying a neighbor's cows.
DeleteOne of my favorite memories from a trip to Switzerland was watching some cows cavorting in a pasture. I was in a small town for almost a week and I heard the bells of the cows each morning. (While I was on my way to the bakery and the cheese shop to pick up 'breakfast'). Finally one morning I went over and watched the happy cows. There were 3 of them and their bells (all different sizes/sounds) made such cheerful sounds!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great trip. I understand about the daily trip to the cheese shop. Best cheese and yogurt!
Delete