
My
father-in-law was a child in Ireland during the Depression. He was
surrounded by first cousins, uncles, aunts...As an adult, the only
Gaelic words he remembered were swear words.
The Irish words for “idiot” are eedjit, amadάn, and amaid. Amάdan means “fool” and amaid means “foolish woman”. Obviously, these are more formal Irish.
But, eedjit?
| County Longford...where my father-in-law lived. |
The Irish words for “idiot” are eedjit, amadάn, and amaid. Amάdan means “fool” and amaid means “foolish woman”. Obviously, these are more formal Irish.
But, eedjit?
Eedjit is the every-day-Irish word for idiot. Chances are it was
changed to “eedjit” by the Irish to refer to the English word “idiot.
Here are some thoughts from another site:
Here are some thoughts from another site:
Eedjit is one
English man, so……
Sure and, Eedjits is more than one Englishman….
Dinna ye know: Eedjit is bein’ one sandwich short of a picnic….
Eedjits was stolen from the Scottish language, Eejits. And I bloody well know…
Hard tae swallie, bein’ an eedjit is official, dey up and put it in de Scottish dictionary…
Sure and, Eedjits is more than one Englishman….
Dinna ye know: Eedjit is bein’ one sandwich short of a picnic….
Eedjits was stolen from the Scottish language, Eejits. And I bloody well know…
Hard tae swallie, bein’ an eedjit is official, dey up and put it in de Scottish dictionary…
póg mo thóin: what does this mean??
Love it I have heard Edjit all my life, glad to kow it has some roots! I like this on the BEST:
ReplyDeleteDinna ye know: Eedjit is bein’ one sandwich short of a picnic….
TAke care and thank for the smiles...
Eedjit....being one sandwich short of a picnic. The Irish and Scottish are gifted in words.
ReplyDeleteI would not wish to kiss that particular part of your anatomy. Slainte
ReplyDeletethere is a music group in Ireland, called The Pogues.
DeleteI love The Pogues. There are several other Irish groups I listen to too.
DeleteAnd here I thought seeing eedjit in print was the author's way of letting us hear the character's accent. (The book I'm currently reading uses eedjit quite frequently. Although, the character using it is Scottish.)
ReplyDeleteIrish and Scottish are close in many ways.
DeleteEejit is one of my favourite words! And having watched the video I know realise I know of several gobshites, though do not know them personally.
ReplyDeleteI have known some gobshites in my life. where they are now, I don't know.
DeleteI saw the title and wondered why you were writing about me...
ReplyDeletesorry about that.
DeleteFunny:)
ReplyDeleteLanguage is a peculiar thing. Eedjit/idiot
DeleteHere it’s couyon, or the more formal spelling, couillon. They come in every variety and ethnicity.
ReplyDeleteevery country has its share of idiots, but some more than others.
Deleteto funny, I grew up using the word eejit, we in the south pronounced it idget. we never even new the word idiot until much later in life. USA has a lot of idiots in charge of the rest of us eejits. now I am wondering how other languages say the word idiot
ReplyDeleteGood question. I will check that one out/.
DeleteMy grandfather's parents were full Irish before they immigrated to the States. I can clearly remember Grandpa pronouncing "idiot" as "eedjit" when describing a foolish person. Now, I know why. Thanks, Susan!
ReplyDeleteLearning never stops!
DeleteI agree when you say every country has its share of idiots/eedjits!
ReplyDeleteAll the best Jan
Yup. Every country has those as part of the family.
DeleteWe went to Ireland last spring. Even coming of the airplane I was intrigued by the signs in Irish. Every Irish person we talked to explained that they had to learn Irish in school, but only knew a few words (swear words were often mentioned!). The spelling of the language is horrendous!
ReplyDeleteThe number of Irish Language speakers has decreased so much. IT is a difficult language to learn. The spelling is unique, I wish I had taken the time to learn some when we lived there 40 years ago.
DeleteSo we have a gobshite running our country.
ReplyDeleteThere are so many gobshites around us all.,
DeleteAre you calling me an idiot?
ReplyDeleteGod bless, Susan.
It takes one to know one!
DeleteI watched a Castle for Christmas, and it takes place in Scotland, and I thought I heard this word in one of the scenes. So, some of the Irish and Scottish words are similar? I hope March is being good to you so far.
ReplyDelete