blog Followers

Friday, October 24, 2025

Wed. Words: Harold and Bernice

 

    Boot jack plug tobacco

 

After breakfast, Harold settled under a morning sky, quietly chewing on a wad of tobacco outside on the porch. Bernice handed him a mug of coffee, and were quiet as they watched the pumpkin orange and honey sunrise washing over the sky.

They had been companions since 1946, when they saw each other at the church picnic, where Harold had been spitting now and then by himself. After being friends for 40 years, Bernice had plopped down by the silent man, nudging him, loudly announcing that she thought they should get married. Harold was silent for a moment and nodded in agreement.

They arose, held hands and visited Parson Smith to get wed, surprising Mrs. Smith who ran to the phone to spread the word that Harold and Bernice were finally getting married. There was a wave of voices rejoicing for the long-awaited wedding

The reception was boisterous where men were laughing loudly, and the women were fussing over the bride. After the rites were recited and the cake consumed, the couple headed onto their house where they presumably consummated their marriage.

Being elderly in their 80s, this was not easy, but ultimately there was success. There were signs of marital bliss.

The next day they were exhausted, which was expected.

This is a selection of underlined words from last week. this is a variety of words that were selected by other bloggers, please go there!!

River   Elephant's Child is no longer active; Sue Goldberg died and left all us bloggers who enjoyed her site.  

19 comments:

  1. I didn't follow Sue's blog site, but may God comfort her in heaven and give her that promised everlasting life. Harold and Bernice certainly found their destiny, did they not? Blessings, Susan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One can hope that this is what she found there.

      Delete
  2. I was so sad to hear of her passing even though I wasn't a follower. Too many people are being taken much too soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too true. Sue had some serious health problems. She was a good writer.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the entertainment. Good write. Sorry to hear of your friend. WE all hate to hear of those who have past. It is good that someone let Bloggerville know...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad it you enjoyed the story. I figured you could find someone in the past in your life story who matches these unique people.

      Delete
  4. It was hard to lose Sue. Some of us are still doing WfW with River.

    I can only imagine how hard it was for Bernice to wait 40 years and only wish she'd spoken up sooner. Who knows how their lives might have been different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true. lots of time was lost for loving and she didn't speak up sooner.

      Delete
  5. Like messymimi, I think Bernice should have spoken sooner. Good story, though I hate the very thought of chewing tobacco.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why she didn't speak up, I don't know. Didn't go that far.

      Delete
  6. the chawing bacca, that is Kentucky speak from the 1950's, dropped me once again into the distant past where almost every home we visited had a spittoon on the front porch and some inside. great story, she should have skipped the whole thing in my book, who wants a man in their 80's?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was in her 80s too, and it is a rural area. Maybe she knew he would take care of her?

      Delete
  7. This is a beautiful love story. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't sure if the love angle would be too subtle! Thanks.

      Delete
  8. I was so sorry to hear of Sue's passing. I enjoyed hearing her thoughts and seeing her joys, especially her frozen bubbles. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It made me sad to hear of EC's passing. I read her blog years ago. I cracked up at the mental images of consummating the marriage!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I visited her once in a while and enjoyed her sharing always dear Susan! May she rest in peace 🙏
    It was wonderful piece of writing,very enjoyable 🥰

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!