blog Followers

Wednesday, October 8, 2025

Farmer, a difference makes.

                                                                    By Paul Harvey

Farmers are the base of food production in the world.  The Great Plains of America and the rich land of the Midwest are the sources of that food.

My childhood was spent on a farm in Illinois, where my folks farmed for about 60 years. The things I saw, did, and learned have been invaluable.

What some may not realize but farming is a 24/7 way of life. The money that goes into harvesting grain and taking care of livestock is unbelievable. Money spent on grain and feed has to provide livestock nutrition and the cost of livestock sales has to be factored into costs.


John Deere combine. Great equipment.

Deere + Massey Ferguson + International Harvester.....
 

Rising Feed $$ + Vet costs + cost of tractor equipment maintenance + fuel + unpaid labor are seen in the cost of meat. When the money is lost at the bottom of the food chain, the loss has to be made up by increasing meat costs or reducing herd numbers or both.  

Who wins in this battle?  Not the farmer.

I learned this whenever I needed a new pair of shoes or winter coat.  When you have to pay for your needs, you just get less for more money. 

So, Don't ever blame farmers for the cost of living. They are doing the best that they can, given the circumstances they face.  When a person opens a can of corn or other vegetables, the farmer was there growing them.

 Each clip is about 1 min. long.  Jackson has been in the fields since he  was in elementary school. Catch him in action at 

facebook.com/profile.php?id=61556973080308&sk=reels_tab

Going to see tractors on an field, farmers,  

14 comments:

  1. I've seen lots of videos about Jackson and he's a gem, Susan! Farmers are the backbones of civilization. I hope and pray that President Trump's tariff money will go to help them all just as he promised. Blessings, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Farmers carry the weight of the world, most people don't take that into consideration.

      Delete
  2. And don't forget that the farmer is on;y paid when he sells his harvest. Market price is what he gets. Then that money has to last until next year, No weekly checks for the farmer. No guarantee of how much he will make for all his hard work. Yet he is the one who feeds us all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is darn hard work. My folks were always aware of how much $ they had and what they need. It was a great childhood, rough and lots of work.

      Delete
  3. my cousins are farmers, there Dad was a farmer and his dad too. they still struggle here in Florida to make a living farming, but with our their potatoes no potato chips, without their tomatoes, no canned tomatoes or fresh ones. there Dad made a good living when we were growing up but now its really hard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Farming has been part of my family until Dad passed in 2005. The farm is gone now.

      Delete
  4. I am always so very, very thankful for our farmers. They are most certainly not to blame for the food prices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Food prices are higher up the rung when it comes to money.

      Delete
  5. My daughter has been dating a farmer for a decade or so, so I definitely know this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure that you fed some men at harvest time.

      Delete
  6. Great post. So many folks are clueless. I wish everyone could see this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm always so thankful for farmers.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the Gen ? population can realize how important farmers are.

      Delete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!