blog Followers

Sunday, December 15, 2024

Snow in Chicago

 Snow holds no mystery for us as we have experienced it for our entire lives until we got married and fled. But then my husband was a TA at Iowa State University. Snow swept across the prairie and locked us in at any given time.

Victorville... my home town.  There is something majestic about Joshua trees that take forever to grow, standing against a brilliant blue sky with white clouds... it makes me miss living in the high desert.
Victorville, California

And then...

We dwelled in Victorville, California, in the Mojave Desert, a hellish wasteland. Surrounded by flat fields of sand, sagebrush, scrubs, and tumbleweeds, our family grew there for seven years. When the temperature plummeted to 94 deg. F/37 C., it felt like we needed jackets.

And then....


We moved to Ireland then where there was rain every day.  It was joyous, for the world was green and lush. Sadly, we lived there for only a few years.

And now...


Now we are enjoying a fairly even climate and enjoying the beauty of our area.  But, we miss some of the spring, all of the fall, and maybe a nibble of winter from Illinois. Summer in the Midwest is not missed at all.

And then...

My son John married Arlette in Chicago at December 4, 2016, with both families all around. What we also experienced was an unexpected taste of winter.


Just a taste, a beautiful taste was all we needed.

A cemetery was across the street from our really cool hotel. When
we arrived , I promised our gr-daughters we would explore
it tomorrow.


And then...

The next day we woke up to see snow, it was glorious.

The table on the balcony was pure and smooth.

Our gr-daughters were thrilled when the snowflakes began
to fall. 


And then the next day, we left the snow behind and flew
to LAX. The diamonds of light lay down below, making Los Angeles 
truly resemble where angels might actually have been.

God created snow, rain, desert, etc. He has a plan for us, for what awaits us. 
Snow? It is all part of the plan, just like barren wilderness or swamps, it is all part of His plan.

So, I guess we have to go with "Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow."

This is a post from long ago.  Our son John got married back in 2016, and it was a great day.




22 comments:

  1. As we swelter in a heat wave your snowy photos are more than welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know about you but I love the changing seasons. You have been able to experience them all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss the weather, all except summer. It is evil.

      Delete
  3. Grumble grumble mutter mutter lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Says the man who takes Misty on long long walks.

      Delete
  4. All I can say, snow is for kids or crazy people who ski! LOL I am not a fan but it makes some beautiful pictures. LOL
    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snow is for the young who have joints that don't hurt.

      Delete
  5. It's cool enough for me right now, thanks. I don't wish for snow. Happy December.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been 70--80 deg. here until last week. The temp plumetted to73.

      Delete
  6. I enjoy snow when I see it online or in movies and TV shows. That's more than enough for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are channels where a fire place is crackling, and snow is falling outside. that does it.

      Delete
  7. I love living in a country that experiences all four seasons. We usually have a few snowfalls in January but with climate change who knows what we have in store for next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we all wonder. We got so much rain back in spring. the plant growth was tremendous, which meant wild fires.

      Delete
  8. Snow doesn't really bother me. I could do without it, but it doesn't freeze (pardon me) into paralysis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We lived in Iowa for 2 years, and the wind across that flat land put the temp. -0 degrees too often.

      Delete
  9. The snow in St. Louis doesn't stick around much anymore. It's usually gone in one or two days. It's close to 70 degrees here today. It's like spring time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate to hear that. Snow along the river is beautiful.

      Delete
  10. wow what a wonderful and magical post dear Susan
    i was lucky to not miss it
    how amazing you lived in such diverse and many areas wow incredible indeed
    Indeed God has plan for all of us :)
    hugs and best wishes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God does have a plan for us. Sometimes it includes horrible heat or cold winter.

      Delete
  11. On the very rare occasions we get snow here in the swamps, it stops us in our tracks and we better put out food for the squirrels and birds or they won't find any.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snow in the swamps would be an incredible sight.

      Delete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!