blog Followers

Monday, December 2, 2024

Battle of the Bulge Christmas Eve

 

Kinkeade village under threat of danger

 We put up our tree end of November because we wanted to put it up. Our Thomas Kinkade Christmas village is nestled under the tree. 

With our peculiar sense of humor, we placed a polar bear statue from Alaska in the middle of this idyllic world. The townspeople are unaware of what lies in wait for them.

We can afford to be silly like this. We are in our house, safe and warm. Nothing lies in wait for us or threatens us.

With all the Christmas celebrating we will do or decorations that blink around us, the calendar and history reveal to us more about our time on earth.

December 16, 1944 marked the start of the Battle of the Bulge and its month long battle in the Ardennes region of Belgium.  This battle resulted in the deaths of 75,000 soldiers. Nearly 19,000 were from the 101st. They were surrounded by Germans, helpless. Being vital, being pivotal, 101st Airborne Division held onto their precarious part of history.

Brutally cold, with temperatures dropping to just below zero, 101st were alone, cut off from help, rations, and warm clothing. Dug in the snow, troops struggled to stay alive. They were down to the last few rounds of ammunition.

Christmas eve, December 24, 1944, was the day when Allied troops and air support broke through crippling weather front that had isolated troop 101st Airborne. That day made a difference. The 101st made a difference.

Christmas morning in 1944, seventy-five years ago, shows just how brave men grasped, clutched, and carried history all the way to us.

 
 
 YouTube

While we celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ's birth, also celebrate and honor the courage and sacrifice given by the 101st Airborne Army Division. God provided for their needs, kept them alive.

An excellent movie, Battleground, is praised by the military that fought there.

22 comments:

  1. I tried to figure out how many movies were made about the Battle of the Bulge. There are are four that get talked about the most but I think there are more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recall about that many, so I am always surprised when I see another version.

      Delete
  2. There is love in terrible times. The men of 101st had something to hold onto. Families back home praying and them thinking of those. BUT inspire of hardship, WHAT a Christmas.
    Thanks for the reminders and we love the tree and decorations...
    YES enjoys the tree!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We haven't finished our tree yet! Need some gr-kids to come over. From Illinois and Switzeland?

      Delete
  3. Midst all the joy and (sometimes) artificial gaiety, thank you for reminding us of the trials and sacrifices like this.
    Love your polar bear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While we sing carols and open presents, we must must remember these young men and women.

      Delete
  4. So many terrible stories from that war.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In both Fronts, innocent civilians were slaughter. Hard to imagine.

      Delete
  5. I remember a slightly happier story from WW2, when Christmas Eve came around the Germans and Russians stopped shooting at each other around midnight and they sang carols across the fields and on Christmas day threw foods to each other. My dad told this to me and I choose to believe it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was born Sept 5, 1944, but do remember hearing stories of all this from uncles that were there. 3 of them, daddy and his other two brothers were unable to go for different reasons. Thank you for making us look at life through their lens.. love the polar bear and your humor in placing it there. Mother loved her village

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Humor is my forte. I like the little twist at the end. 1944 must have been a scary time for your grandmother. My dad was on a B 29 flying over the CBI.

      Delete
  7. Thank you, Susan, for this reminder of those who sacrificed so much that we might enjoy our freedoms today. Let us thank all our troops, past and present, for all they did/do to protect us. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stories like this make me sad and proud. Maybe one day we will celebrate Christmas as all the world celebrates peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I learn of these amazing men in horrible conditions, I am so proud of them.

      Delete
  9. excellent perspective. As you said, I'm safe and cozy in my home with plenty of food and water. Tough to imagine the world war zones that never seem to end. World peace.....when?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fighting in the cold weather is so terrible. I remember reading of Napoleon's retreat from Russia where men froze to death standing up, it was like -20 and men were barely dressed for the 60s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wars are not wisely chosen. Napoleon saw himself as invincible.

      Delete
  11. I am thankful for them, and all who fought, and pray for the day when no one has to any longer.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!