blog Followers

Thursday, November 9, 2023

Gift of the Sacred Dog by Paul Goble

                                                                                    Sacred Dog

The gift of the Sacred Dog is a book written by Paul Noble, one of his many that sing of the Native Americans, or The People. 
 
 
How the horse came to the New World is fairly well documented.  Spanish and French explorers shipped them over early on in their conquest of the New World.  

Some horses either escaped or were left behind.  These horses became the mustangs, the wild horses that filled the plains and dominated history for the Native Americans.

But, questions niggle at my brain:  what did the indigenous tribes think about the horse?  Did they realize what the horse would give them?  Did they view the horse as an extension of the Spanish, as an animal to serve them, or what??

The book, Gift of the Sacred Dog, grants the reader a better answer about the horse.

Horse HeadHorses by Picasso

The horse benefited the Native Americans, allowing them to survive and prosper.  At least for a while, anyway. 

 This celebrates the beauty, nobility, and power of the horse, one of God’s creatures. This praises the strength and resilience of the People who honored such creation. 
 
 

17 comments:

  1. Interesting and not a book or an author I knew about. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I never had an inkling of that subject. BUT very interesting stuff. Sending love your way and hope you are still improving.
    From the first coast
    Sherry & jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hand is improving. Lots of therapy in the works!

      Delete
  3. I've spent a lot of time with horses, I started riding when I was eight, and right now there are six living next door, they come over and visit me when they find that the grass is greener in my fields. I love it, of course. The best is when it's time to go home for supper, they often break out in full gallop and it's a magnificent sight and sound too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My grandfather raised horses so I learned to ride when I was small. As far as I know Indians used horses as they did other animals. They made use of everything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always wanted a horse when I was growing up - such majestic creatures!
    Blessings, Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Raises an interesting question: How much DID the horse change the dynamic? How would things had been had the horse been the only European contact with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that would have been different. Good questions.

      Delete
  7. They are noble animals. The book sounds like one I'd enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My gr-daughter took riding lessons, developed a love for horse. She wants to be a vet.

      Delete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!