blog Followers

Tuesday, March 28, 2023

Write like there is not tomorrow! Write!

 YouTube: about 2 + minutes, 8 year old in a library
 
Starting to write can start young, really young. For me, the first thing I wrote was a letter to Ralphie Edwards.  I was almost 5 and it was a very brief romance. 
The missive consisted of assorted  alphabet letters with drawings of birthday cakes interspersed randomly. 
It was a fine achievement for a preschool child with grand aspirations to become a writer
                           
These were the Wednesday Words for last week: Mine, child, foundation, careful, bird,  dig, sadness, lemon, attach, breakfast, time  This is what I created from these gems of language:

Samuel carried the yellow bird down into the mine, careful to hang the cage where miners could see it.  It was just another day of digging, for Samuel who had been in the mines since he was a child, 

For the miners, coal was the foundation of their community. Love it or hate it, Samuel did not feel the sadness that came over the town in a black cloud.  He did not have time to escape the rumble of a cave-in.   

The bird had died, and so had Samuel. 

This is from my dark side. I decided long ago that a short story is concise, requires careful word selections.  Did you find the words in the less than 100 word story? What would you write?

YouTube, about 45 seconds

This was written by River - drifting through like:

This is an awesome way to make a post that uses these words! The following story was written by River - drifting through life She is a gentle writer, uses words well.  There will be other offerings there for the reader to enjoy. Please visit her site.

Under the blossoming lemon tree, I gaze at you as you gaze at me, the words of an old favourite song coming to mind, "oh, sweet child of mine". 

We have made it successfully through our first month together and I believe our foundation is solid. I feel such love when you attach yourself to my breast each breakfast time, you drink your fill as your tiny fingers dig in and your toes curl with the pleasure. 

I shall teach you as you grow, to appreciate the little things in life, birds and butterflies, flowers and growing vegetables, the gentle salmon pinks of sunrises and the deeper sunsets too. 

I shall teach you to be careful with your words when speaking with others, that you do not unwittingly hurt with them, there is far too much hate and sadness already in this world you have been born into. 

What could you create?  I'd love to see what that is.  You can post your work at your own blog site and/or the above site.  If you choose to publish at your site, please link it back to River's site--- River - drifting through life--- where other bloggers have posted their literary works.

 This Wed. Words was  created by Delores at Under the Porch light, which she no longer keeps active.  She is a sweet  lady, wrote some great poetry.  She passed the baton to several bloggers including River - drifting through life at the above address. 

Hope you enjoyed my own literary triumphs.   

             10 year old published author, YouTube, about 2 min.

 

16 comments:

  1. Thank you for the link back. One of my grand daughters wrote and illustrated a book when she was four, but she didn't become a writer. Instead she is now a costume designer and maker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see one of my gr-daughters doing that.

      Delete
  2. Such a sad, and sadly truthful story. I do feel however that I cannot let it go unstated that YOU provided the prompts. For which we thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is strange how the words connect in my writer's brain. It becomes a thread of a story. Then I go with it. It was sad story, part of my dark side.

      Delete
  3. I lost my words. I posted WFW on someone else's blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't remember what it was. I'll keep looking for it.

      Delete
    2. River said you supplied yesterdays words.
      An overview of the survey showed someone tried to bury the foundation but workers used steam to reveal it.

      Delete
  4. The story of the miner was sad. It was well-written but cut off too short at the end. I do that myself. The second story makes me feel the love throughout. Both are talented about relaying feelings and making me feel a part of the tale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My short stories end with the hint of another writer carrying it to its conclusion. River's stories are always filled with such tenderness.

      Delete
  5. What do they call those super short pieces? Flash fiction? Very sad dark story you've got there. Should we worry about you? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I'm fine. I just like the sense of drama or something about to happen.

      Delete
  6. It's a sad reality, mining is not easy and not safe.

    The words have to come out, i cannot help but put them down.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A sad and true story. My Grandfather was a miner when he came from Greece..it was the only work he could find at first. I know there were many times when lives were lost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a movie, October Sky. the father is a coal miner, gets ill. The boy is a brilliant future aerospace engineer. The father sees the boy's talent. The misery of the coal town is striking.

      Delete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!