blog Followers

Saturday, November 26, 2022

Really Unususal Foods

 Testicle Cookbook - Yudu

 Nuts

Lately my thoughts and blogs have circled around food, normal and a little off-market-type.  I wrote about the roasted hog head on the kitchen table sometime last year.

Life is not so much about what we have eaten, but it is more about the foods we have not yet eaten.  This topic all depends on the spirit of adventure, how much one possesses of that elusive spirit, and whether one responds positively to going with the spirit.

Let’s face it: how many traditional Thanksgiving meals can one take?  How many pot roasts?  How many gallons of homemade mashed potatoes?  Well, on the potatoes, I can still eat more of them.  But, as for other normal meals, don’t you ever get tired of them? 

I mean, what about…say…roast snapping turtle…fried frog legs :}…sautéed sweetmeats (calf brains)…venison chili?  This only covers the main entrée, not the side dishes or desserts.
 

 
What I would love to hear from anyone is a recipe they have tried or eaten, something that surprised them.  Please, please, share the recipe with this truly adventurous blogging community. 

If you are running dry on ideas for blog posts, this is like a free-bee! Call an elderly relative who most likely has access to some really interesting recipes.  Post it on your blog. 

I am just curious what you might come up with, if allowed to rumble and ransack through some old recipes.recipes 
 
  Mom could cook anything, including wild game.  In a way, I am relieved that I am not tempted to cook something. I am known for being feisty.
 

12 comments:

  1. Sorry, no good recipes for you. I'm a rather picky eater. On the plus side, I don't really get sick of the things I like, so I don't feel the need to be adventurous. I hope you get all sorts of good ideas from others, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Over the years, my tastes have changed. Sushi doesn't taste as good. But, corn on the cob with fried catfish, will always taste great.

      Delete
  2. I'm not at all adventurous, I like the familiar and comfortable. I do occasionally venture to cooking something new, but it's a "safe" something, like grilled swordfish steaks instead of the usual much cheaper fish fingers. but I can't afford to try other things too often, the budget is fairly tight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fish fingers is pretty low on the fish chain, but we live 100 miles from the Pacific. Ironically, catfish is my favorite.

      Delete
  3. Hi Susan - I've always enjoyed all foods ... but never got as far as Asia - as I'd love to have spent time there understanding the huge variety of foods available. I've had oysters, ostrich, venison, rabbit - that needs to be twice cooked (I gather!) ... but also fish ... I did bring crabs and large langoustines back from Ireland with me in 1969 - with no idea how to cook them ... I managed and I'm still here - so didn't kill myself or my Dad - who I was living with at the time. I've deboned and stuffed a turkey, with other birds ... now I still cook fresh foods - but much more likely to be fish, salads and veggie ... I enjoy variety - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you enjoy a variety of foods. Good for you! Some people never try other foods.

      Delete
  4. My wife's country cousins had a testicle festival one time when we were visiting. Pig testicles. Apparently you can buy them by the big bag full. I ate one. It tasted like typical organ meat. I remember the taste from when my mother would cook chicken gizzards and I would eat the chicken heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmmm, mountain oysters! You apparently have had some real treats! Dad always ate the gizzards and heart.

      Delete
  5. I have had Snapping turtle, though not roasted; I think we called it sweetbread, but I've had that too. Add in rabbit, squirrel, and cow's tongue. No venison chili yet, but definitely burgers, and a former in-law made the most melt in your mouth steaks I ever ate...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, we are coming to your house.The snapping turtle was in some broth or such, not roasted. We kids refused the cow tongue. Have to draw the line some where.

      Delete
  6. Being vegetarian, i try lots of things from ethnic restaurants where meat is not the main part of every single meal. No, i can't cook any of them, i wish i could.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Living in a rural area, farmers were also hunters. When Dad's friend brought a large snapping turtle over, Mom plopped it in a pot, and Bob's your uncle.

      Delete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!