blog Followers

Tuesday, November 8, 2022

Do you gerrymander?

 

                                    One person, one vote

So far, we have had Twitter, Tweet, Facebook, and perhaps-more big industries-to-come. Google? Their business practices came back to bite them and their days of revealing, deleting, gerrymandering  (an interesting word and meaning) I have never understood. The definition is a silent, quiet word, one that isn’t tossed around casually. Why, I wonder.

[ˌjerēˈmandəriNG]

NOUN

gerrymandering (noun) · jerrymandering (noun)

1. the manipulation of an electoral constituency's boundaries so as to favor one party or class:

"gerrymandering protects the party lines and keeps bad incumbents in power"

ORIGIN

early 19th century: from gerrymander + -ing.

Here are some synonyms:

 manipulating, cheating, pettifoggery, rigging, corruption, falsifying, manipulation, fraud, and more.

What struck me is that there are no synonyms below, just antonyms:

honor, oath, justice, integrity, honesty, sincerity, truth, and more.

Basically, being called a gerrymander is a negative thing as part of its meaning.

Being called truthful is a positive thing as part of it definition.

Are you a gerrymander or honest? Pettifoggery or sincerity? Manipulate or guide? 

https://libraries.uta.edu/ettahulme/image/20111236

Editorial cartoon from the Etta Hulme Papers

14 comments:

  1. Introduced when Elbridge Gerry drew out the first redistricting in the 1790's. Some wag drew a head and tail on it and said, "There, it's a salamander." A fellow wag said, "No, it's a Gerrymander!" And the term was born.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Someone made a font out of gerrymandered districts. At least in California we had the nonpartisan redistricting committee. I think my district makes more sense now. Does yours?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know about Riverside County, and it hasn't been talked about.

      Delete
  3. Seems if one knows they are 'cheating' and everyone else knows it, that it could be STOPPED, 'nipped in the bud', LOL
    Thanks for the lesson. I thought it was just a wandering line...
    Sherry & jack targeted by Nicole...... :-O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seeing all those political ads was bad enough. Now we will have recounts.

      Delete
  4. Sadly it is a political reality. I hope that I am honest. I try to be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Around here, it's not uncommon, even in the school districts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I try to be honest, but I can't answer for politics or politicians.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope honest people will be elected, if that's even possible.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!