blog Followers

Friday, November 6, 2020

The Great Snail Races

 

His folks had forced Sam Snail to attend the class on snail safety, where posters covered the room:

“An Informed Snail is a Safe Snail!”

“It’s not dandruff, you idiot!  It’s salt!” 


“A stupid snail becomes escargot!”

Mr. Goo, the oldest snail in the community, scanned the adolescent snails with his antennae.  “Listen up, you slimy slugs!”

The snails convulsed with laughter---the slug joke was an old one. Then all became quiet as the spectres of snails long gone before filled the room.

They whispered, “Grass is good.  Sidewalks are bad….” 

Then Mr. Goo shouted, “If you are ever besieged by a bunch of birds, then kiss your shells good-bye.”

Intervals of laughter and silence of doom broke up the rest of the day.  Finally, class was dismissed.
  


Mr. Goo watched them in silence, Poor dumb Molluscan GastropodsHalf of them won’t even make it home.

This is a repost from 2014. 

Delores provided participants of the "Wednesday Words" with a variety of six words with which to play:  write prose, short fiction, non-fiction, poetry...Each week there is always a challenge. She retired and passed the baton to other bloggers. She is missed.



20 comments:

  1. She is indeed missed and I hope she is well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Delores probably had no idea where Wed.Words would take bloggers.

      Delete
  2. I also hope Delores is well.
    The teacher failed to inform the snails of the deadly green pellets posing as yummy food. A couple of dozen fell victim in my yard two weekends ago, after first eating three pots worth of new seedlings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This made me smile and that's what blogging is about

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is what I enjoy the most, is writing and making me smile.

      Delete
  4. Me too Sandra, I certainly enjoy it. Love your thought processes Teach, I am sure lots of students remember THAT teacher.
    The story is a Hoot.
    Be safe, watch out, sidewalks are BAD!
    Sherry & jack, sending good thoughts and smiles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those who lived to get home will remember Mr. Goo.

      Delete
  5. Heeheehee! Yes, i remember this, it's a good now as before.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I laughed and laughed when I read this post. I am still laughing, although I'm sorry to read your friend retired from hosting this event.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Boy! It's been many years since I've prepared or eaten escargot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We visited Paris in 1986 and ordered it. To say I liked it would be incorrect. It was chewy.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. It is always fun to take the impossible and change it into something "out of the box" or "off the wall".

      Delete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!